Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Roubo...finally...

Beautiful bench! Congratulations on finishing!

Blog Entries
    You are being too critical of yourself. It sure likes like one of the beauties you mention.
    Please do show the underside. I, too, am curious.

OK...

Please forgive my ignorance, but...I am not sure what all of interest is in my tail vise. It is just about as cheap as you can get.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...ront-Vise.aspx

I just kind of bolted it thru the holes in it with lag bolts. If there is "racking" I haven't noticed. It just kind of opens...and closes.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Congratulations on the bench. I am sure it will be fun to use for decades to come. To get the most out of your holdfasts you might want to add a couple of holes in the bench for incorporating battens to help with work holding. Checkout:

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/?p=1936

for more on battens and holdfasts.

Happy Woodworking!!!

Very nice, Harold. You'll enjoy your efforts for years to come.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Congratulations on the bench. I am sure it will be fun to use for decades to come. To get the most out of your holdfasts you might want to add a couple of holes in the bench for incorporating battens to help with work holding. Checkout:

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/?p=1936

for more on battens and holdfasts.

Happy Woodworking!!!
    Wow...that is pretty cool. Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that I am looking for.

I went right out into my shop and made one.
    I am never wrong.

Blog Entries
    Awesome work Harold! I certainly do not envy anyone whose had to put a top onto one of these benches with four of those tenons.

I've done rising Dovetails with a tenon (similar, but slightly different) and fitting one at a time is hellish enough.

i'm also tortured by small details that no one else seems to notice, so on almost every project I will go back at some point and change them slightly after a year or so. After that I am happy with them.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-23-2014 at 8:43 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    In my case my query about the tail vise was based on being half awake... I need a stretcher at the top on my bench (need removable top for now) and am trying to decide how to have the vise and stretcher fit in the same space. In spite of having had Roubos dancing in my head for a few years I was not thinking about your lack of such a stretcher and just went "tail vise question? Uh, um, yeah me too."

I always focus on the disprovements on things I make, whether in the kitchen, the shop, wherever. I hope you can see how well you did a lot clearer than the things you'd change. It is quite the accomplishment.

It sure looks great from here.
    Edit - I also vote to see any build photos you took.
    Last edited by Fitzhugh Freeman; 08-23-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Freeman View Post
    I also vote to see any build photos you took.
    I took no build photos. Mostly because (and I'm just being honest here) my shop is a mess. I am THE most unorganized person on the planet. Seriously. I will only occasionally share pictures of anything I build...and even then it is always in the house. In the extremely rare cases that I will post a picture of anything from the shop, it is always from "just the right angle".

So...there it is.

As far as the build itself, well...everything I did was from the Chris Schwarz book. So my pictures would probably have looked a lot like his...just without the cool hair.

I will try to get some underside pics, though.

AFTER-THOUGHT:
    Maybe what we need here is a sub-forum of some sort for the "Organizationally Challenged". You know, where we can post pics without fear of being judged. And where all of us OC's can even compliment each other with the creativity of our messes. A place where we can all get comfortable and find acceptance for "who we are".

Yeah...I need to talk to Keith about this...
    Last edited by Harold Burrell; 08-23-2014 at 2:10 PM.
    I am never wrong.

Nice job. It looks pretty stout.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I took no build photos. Mostly because (and I'm just being honest here) my shop is a mess. ...

Maybe what we need here is a sub-forum of some sort for the "Organizationally Challenged". You know, where we can post pics without fear of being judged. And where all of us OC's can even compliment each other with the creativity of our messes. A place where we can all get comfortable and find acceptance for "who we are".

Yeah...I need to talk to Keith about this...
    Harold, if you become president of the organizationally challenged forum, I think I''d be in the running for VP. Just checkout

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...shop-Make-Over

or

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-getting-there as evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Wow...that is pretty cool. Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that I am looking for.

I went right out into my shop and made one.
    And? Don't keep us hanging :-).

Blog Entries
    Very, very nice Harold! I'm sure you'll enjoy that bench every time you use it!

I'd say the over/under on how long it takes the very nice shelf between the stretchers to become buried in tiny bits of wood "you just can't part with" is about one project. Time for the pile of scraps to be so large that you forget/can't find the "perfect scrap" - 2 projects. Don't ask how I know this.

The "bench appliance" I use the most is a 3" x 6" piece of maple with a dowel that fits in the bench dog holes, that I clamp a adjustable desk lamp/worklight to for putting light on the small workpieces I can't see anymore. I get mine at target/Office Depot and they usually last about three – four months before they break. I usually get them 2 at a time because there sometimes hard-to-find and I'm lost without it.

Thanks for sharing your work and the pictures!

All the best, Mike

Beautiful bench, Harold. Nice to see the construction grade wood being used so successfully. I've recently found a source of 4-by and 6-by doug fir and have been pondering a similar build, I think you may have inspired me to go for it!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Good going Harold. My Roubo has been starting 'tomorrow' for several years - but has finally reached the stage where all the parts are ready and it's time to go...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 08-25-2014 at 6:42 PM.