Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you run your business out of a "house", check this out! - 'bout UPS

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    We've found FedEx to be substantially less expensive than UPS from our location. I had to ship a job to California that was fairly large. UPS was $45 to ship it, FedEx was $17. What's normally in the $12-13 range for UPS, comes in around $7-8 for us with FedEx.
    We're not a business but when shipping something I always check all 3 options. We're paying retail of course. UPS is always higher. FedEx ground is more often competitive with USPS, usually 10-15% higher but if I needed reliable tracking & delivery info I'd go FedEx ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    We've found FedEx to be substantially less expensive than UPS from our location. I had to ship a job to California that was fairly large. UPS was $45 to ship it, FedEx was $17. What's normally in the $12-13 range for UPS, comes in around $7-8 for us with FedEx.
    That has been about my experience, too.

I used to hate FedEx ground. They'd quote 3-4 days in transit and then it would take 7-10. But they've improved quite a bit.

The problem with Fed Ex is they sell their residential routes to other drivers. Even though it's a Fed Ex truck and uniform you see, it may not be a true FedEx employee. We had a problem with FedEx at our old house. Because we were so rural, everything was considered Residential Delivery. The Fed Ex route was owned by a group of Romanians and they would hold the package several days until they had more packages to deliver out our way. They would update the status as "Could not find address" or "Attempted Delivery. No one there." or "Business closed." when they never made an attempt to deliver it at all.

Convincing UPS you are a business when it's flagged as residential can be a challenge. Our former neighbor had a thriving mail order business that would fill the UPS truck up each night with packages. She had a full retail center and shipping building, but also had a house on the property. Once again, because we were so rural, UPS flagged her as Residential until she took her business to FedEx. Once Flat Rate Shipping became available with USPS, she started shipping more product via USPS.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

AN UPDATE -
    My thread took a left-turn with you all talking ‘bout options for shipping products OUT - versus using UPS. My original post: I was talking ‘bout UPS charging me their residential delivery rates - for products being delivered to me by my suppliers. (i.e. JDS, Johnson Plastics, etc.) - at higher costs to me! If you recall, UPS had me registered as a "residential drop off" ‘stead of "commercial". I called, and e-mailed, UPS giving them the reasons I should be considered commercial; reasons I posted earlier. UPS "investigated" and, as of this morning, they have switched my designation to "commercial/business" location! I called JDS - sure enough they had me listed as "residential" shipping; she changed the designation within a minute. (Now, I have to contact my other suppliers to have this changed.)
    Telling you all this, ‘cause if you operate out of a "house" - as I do, yet you are primarily business - (I live on the second level) - you may be able to lower your incoming UPS freight costs. Anyway, my problem is apparently resolved ... but, oh, I can only wonder how much this oversight has cost me over time!

Have 'great day! - Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stearns View Post
    AN UPDATE -
    My thread took a left-turn with you all talking ‘bout options for shipping products OUT - versus using UPS.
    Not really, we were saying to have your suppliers ship to YOU using FedEx, or at least get some quotes for doing so. My larger suppliers are shipping all day long via UPS, FedEx, USPS, and a number of other regional carriers, too.

Looks like you got the UPS issue worked out, but I'd still check those FedEx rates.

We also often specific USPS. They (for the time being) deliver Saturdays, and items shipped clear across the country often arrive in a couple of days.

Just FYI -- if you ship FedEx to a residential address it will ship as FedEx Home and will cost more than to a commercial address. Same as UPS. However I do agree that FedEx does seem to be less expensive than UPS. I have no idea how FedEx would treat the OP problem with being classified as residential. Call them and ask.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe