Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Engraving Finishing

Glass Engraving Finishing

Heyo!

My work has a Epilog Helix 60W, and we have tested some engraving on a glass, but were wondering how to finish the glass. The glass is quite rough, should we just sand the glass gently? Or is there a specific product you can use.

Best regards,
    -Caymon

Post your settings used to engrave. I'm guessing by tweaking them alone you can achieve a "smoother" mark. The biggest factor I have seen is changing artwork fills from black to 80% or 90%.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Post your settings used to engrave. I'm guessing by tweaking them alone you can achieve a "smoother" mark. The biggest factor I have seen is changing artwork fills from black to 80% or 90%.
    Why would changing the artwork color matter? Unless you are mapping the color to laser power.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

On my Epilog, changing from black to 80% grey forces it to engrave a "dither pattern" - which seems much better for engraving glass.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

The glass shouldn't be rough. From my experience, glass engraving is typically rough when you use too much power. There are a lot of posts on how to engrave glass/crystal. You can read them and test which method you like best. I like soaking wet newspaper, full power, relatively slow, with 600 dpi.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I agree with Ross.. except the paper towels.. waste of time & bad results for me. Sometimes I use liquid dish detergent (very thin glass or $$$ glass), but mostly nothing at all. For Crystal I never use a coating or paper.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post
    Why would changing the artwork color matter? Unless you are mapping the color to laser power.
    Lower density of "dots" for engraving. Give it a shot on your end, you'd be surprised.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Ok, thank you guys, I will post the settings when I get back in the shop.

I'll also try dish soap and newspapers, and post the results.

Best regards,
    -Caymon

I use the standard masking tape. It does take 2-3 passes though. The glass comes out smooth and consistent.
    Not sure, but I have a feeling that the adhesive may melt into the "fractured glass" to smooth it a bit. This method works
    great on JDS Black Mirrors... Thing about what Ross said though, could it be that engraving through another material be
    similar to lowering the power?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Windex and extra fine steel wool

Well, I must do glass wrong because no matter the settings or dither or wet paper towels or masking I use or whatever, when the engraving result suits me, I MUST use steel wool to remove the tiny flecks and shards left behind. I've gotten fairly smooth glass engraving but I don't like it. Regardless, I always steel wool anyway. All I need is for a customer to sweep his hand across the engraving and pick up glass sliver.

I use 0000 steel wool. NOT sandpaper or scotchbright pads, they will scratch the glass.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I just select the glass setting in the materials database. Comes out near perfect every time. The nature of the beast is that glass microfractures when exposed to 10.6 laser so there is going to be bits left. I find the best overall cleaning comes from using a microfiber cloth afterwards. If you are looking for depth and you have patience you can use the hpdfo optics to engrave more depth in the glass.

Kev,

Why not use scotchbrite pads? I'd think the glass is harder than the plastic of the sponges and so unlikely to scratch?
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

I've changed from laser engraving them to engraving a mask (transfer tape) and
    then using an air erase. It's a mini sandblaster that looks like an airbrush. I use
    a cardboard box to blast in, since it doesn't throw the abrasive around like a
    full sized blaster does.
    That gives me the detail of the laser, but the frosting of sandblasting.
    A little more work, but the results are worth it.

I've tried using the mask for cream etching, but the cream can creep
    under the mask. But it looks nice where it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clumpner View Post
    Kev,

Why not use scotchbrite pads? I'd think the glass is harder than the plastic of the sponges and so unlikely to scratch?
    The glass is harder than the pastic, yes. But the plastic isn't the abrasive. Scotchbrite contains
    aluminum oxide, which definitely scratches the glass.
    The non-stick variety may work, though..