Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would a hammer be copper plated? (Not solid copper)

Thank you,Frank.

About the copper plating: It is one of the lowest cost platings I can think of. Easily and quickly done,and sticks better than any kind of paint could. Sticks isn't the word! You have to wear it off.

the copper plating are usual done before a final plating of a different metal are apply to the copper ,I bought a brass hammer back in the 1970s which is still good today

Blog Entries
    What Frank said!!! ^^^^

now that I have access to a lathe, a brass hammer is forthcoming. As for pics of the handle, first attempt was a real mess. I was trying to make a dainty neck that flowed into an organic handle. What I got looks like someone slipped with a chainsaw and hit their hammer handle. I give you "hammer handle 1.1." Here's hoping 1.2 looks a little better. The palm of the handle is supposed to curve to fit the hand. As I said, it did not come out as planned. Next time I will make a pattern. I shaped it freehand by eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are correct,Ray. Copper is the first metal plated under other metals. This is how they used to chrome plate car bumpers,back when cars were made of REAL METAL!!! Copper,then nickel,then chrome were plated onto the steel bumper.

But,that is not the case here. The copper was the only metal applied to this hammer. It was probably a cheap attempt to keep the hammer from rusting. You can practically copper plate a hammer head by just dipping it into copper sulphate.

One time I was trying to color case harden a pistol hammer for the first time. You add copper sulphate to the water based quench,with other chemicals,to get the "duck egg blue" color,which is ONE of the colors you want. I had not tried to do this before,and added too much copper sulphate. I took the orange hot hammer from the pot of charcoal,and quenched it in the quench. It instantly got heavily copper plated!! Murder to get it all off,what with the checkering on the hammer and all the contours.

I was young and in experienced at the time.

My point is that electricity was not even involved. They also had ways of plating without electricity in the 18th. C.. In fact,it is felt that they did gold plating even in ancient times,but with primitive batteries that have been discovered a long time back.

It is thought that some of the jewelry that Caesar gave Cleopatra might have been gold plated. It would have been considered very rare and valuable at the time.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-24-2014 at 9:49 AM.

some woodwork was overlaid with gold foil , how could they pour the gold so that it would be thin as foil , do you know that copper pots and pans will kill the germs ? I guess that copper forks and spoons would also kill the germs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    how could they pour the gold so that it would be thin as foil?
    Leaf is pressed that thin, not poured.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Leaf is pressed that thin, not poured.
    Leaf may be pressed that thin TODAY but how did Moses tribe press gold that thin ? did they call the beaters on the telephone to beat the gold thin ?

Gold leaf has been hammered between flattened layers of ox intestine(called gold beater's skin) for thousands of years. Gold leaf was not quite as thin in medieval times as it is today,but it was still quite thin. Today,if you hold up a leaf of gold,you can actually see through it. I have done that myself. It is about 3 millionths of an inch today,if I recall correctly. One time the master book binder took a whole book of gold leaf (back when it cost $2.75),and rolled up the whole thing. He thought he'd have a ball of gold. What he got was a very tiny little ball of gold. It is inconceivably thin.

that is too thin for my hands to touch, foil 1000 of a inch are thin enough for me
    if you roll a gold foil that thin on a cool light bulb 60 watts will the bulb melt the foil

I haven't tried melting gold foil with a 60 watt bulb. But,regular gold has quite a high melting point.

Copper pans are usually lined with pure tin. Acids from things like tomatos will eat the copper and that might not be desirable. Some things can be cooked in copper. But,serious poisoning can occur if you cook the wrong thing in copper.

Even tin is not the best thing to be cooking in. Stainless steel is not even the best thing. I guess ceramic would be the safest thing,if it has no harmful additives. Aluminum is not good either,though I grew up eating food and coffee cooked in aluminum.

I think we are all doomed!!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-28-2014 at 9:42 PM.

In Myanmar, gold leaf is still made the old fashioned way. They produce a lot of gold leaf overthere, because it is good for your soul to press a piece on the sides of a buddha statue. Some of these large statues in the temples are covered with a thick layer of gold over the centuries. These leafs are made in small shops with hammers on stone anvils. They are pounding all day long on a piece of gold and it turns out very thin indeed. Hard work in the heat.

If you notice,the gold leaf is actually encased in multiple layers of gold beater's skin. Not struck directly on the stone,of course. Many sheets of gold leaf are stacked alternately between the gold beater's skin layers. I have seen these packets of leaf and skin about 3" thick. Of course,there may be differences between how they do it over there vs. in the Western countries.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-29-2014 at 11:46 AM.

It is plated because it is a cheap piece of junk. However, make a custom handle and it is now a pretty sweet tool! I have lousy Chinese 1 pound hammer that a friend gave me, horrible like your hammer. I made a nice white oak handle for it and I use it all the time, I love it, it is still a cheap hammer. I wouldn't part with it for $$$. Enjoy your copper plated hammer!

On another note I bought a spot welder made in 1912, the two arms were 2" diameter copper round. I have used this copper to make hammers - huge PITA! They have white ash handles, I love to whack stuff with thes hammers - non-marring.

Blog Entries
    I finally found something from a reliable source that would confirm that the copper plating is for corrosion resistance. Japan Woodworker:
    http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Produ...ng-Hammer.aspx

Also found some other copper plated Japanese hammers here, but it did not say why they are copper plated:
    http://www.fine-tools.com/ham7.htm

Really kicking myself for what I did, but it was done innocently. I thought I had a solid copper hammer. I did just find on eBay what appears to be a solid copper hammer, and bought it. It looks like heck- the face is a bit mashed and the sides are dinged, but that's to be expected from a copper hammer, and I plan to dress it up with a file and sandpaper. It has yet to arrive. I'll post pics here when it does.

Why the big interest in copper hammers? I have long thought copper would be good for a plane adjusting hammer, and found the one in this post. Since that didn't turn out to be copper, I figured one more try. After that I may at some later date get some copper rod and make one. This is all really just curiosity killing the cat, but very, very slowly and cruely. I am not expecting much other than it won't rust and perhaps would be more gentle on wooden planes. Other than that it's just a fun curiosity.

By the way- total off-topic, but I also bought a surgeon's bone chisel (a new one, not a used one!) that I am going to grind down to make a "kerfing chisel" or whatever you call it for hammering the kerf on half-blind dovetails. I figure since I'm half-blind myself, those are the kind I need to be making. :-) I bought it because they are stainless steel and also they are already much thinner than woodworking chisels. I figure since it won't be sharpened stainless would be a good option, and the bone chisels are already very thin with a nice handle incorporated. I will start a separate thread when it arrives, which should be late this week or early next week.

You might find that a surgeon's bone chisel is pretty soft. They like their chisels to leave a rough cut as it heals better than a smooth cut. I have a surgeon's chisel,and it was a big disappointment.