Thread: Looking for advice on ROS sanding discs

Blog Entries

Looking for advice on ROS sanding discs

I am about to run out of 100 grit sanding discs and before I spend my hard earned money, I thought I would ask for some buying advice. I have been buying the Klingspor Stearate discs, but was wondering before I reordered that, if there was a better choice. I will be using these to sand mostly bare wood in preparation for finishing.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You may give the Indasa Rhynogrit's a try. I find them to be very durable and long-lasting and a fantastic value.

I have often wondered if some of these abrasive companies give out free samples to try?There is nothing worse than buying a bunch of sandapaper you don't like,seems like forever before you get it used up.That being said,I have alway's liked Mirka.

Is there a reason you are using sterated sand paper? "this one is picking at the old memories" Sterated sand paper is basically adding a soap like substance to the paper to prevent stuff from sticking to it. Used mostly in the automotive industry to prevent paint from clogging the paper when refinishing. it does nothing for sanding bare metal or wood.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

I used to use Klingspor and Mirka. I swear by industrial absrasives' Rhynogrit now. Lasts so much longer.

I read an article last year by Jeff Jewitt where he states newer stearates aren't as finish-phobic (or newer finishes aren't as stearate phobic?) as they used to be. (Caveat emptor with my loose reference here)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Olson View Post
    Is there a reason you are using sterated sand paper? "this one is picking at the old memories" Sterated sand paper is basically adding a soap like substance to the paper to prevent stuff from sticking to it. Used mostly in the automotive industry to prevent paint from clogging the paper when refinishing. it does nothing for sanding bare metal or wood.
    There is no reason I have the stearate discs other than that is what I have now. This is pretty much the question. What is going to be my best choice for a sanding disc? I am not only interested in a brand recommendation I am also looking for advice as to what kind of paper/abrasive too. I am looking for something that will do a good job, last a long time and costs the least.
    That Rhynogrip brand looks interesting. Never heard of them before.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 08-22-2014 at 3:45 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    I just got an order of the Rhynogrit but have yet to try them. They feel well made to the hand but wood will be the test. Had mine in less than two days of placing the order. Great CS so far.

I Like 3M, Mirka, & pacific something I get from CSH

I used 3M for a long time until I switched to LV's Abranet sanding discs ,what a difference.

I use Mirka because I can get it locally. I haven't had a reason to change but I haven't tested a lot of paper.

I use mostly the Festool ones (certainly not cheap), but have also felt the Abranets are very good indeed.

Haven't tried Rhynogrit. Have to try some next time. I tend to buy in bulk (kinda necessary with the Festool abrasives), so it takes quite a while to run out.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use klingspor exclusively, not because I'm sworn to the brand but because they have been the best value for the last 7 years that I've been keeping track. If I remember right FWW did a cost comparison a while back and found them to be the best bang for the buck as far as how much weight of wood is removed per dollar. I feel that they are equal quality to festool disks (I have a festool sander so I need that hole shape) at a discount.

For what it is worth I have not seen any effect on any finish I use when I use stearate vs. non-stearate sandpaper.

Just an amateurs advice but I have had very good luck with the Mirka. I get all my disks from Amazon, these are the 100 grit I bought awhile back. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I buy anything from 60-2000 grit. I think the price is good, maybe I will learn something here.