Thread: Resaw Bandsaw for the Weekend Wood Worker

Resaw Bandsaw for the Weekend Wood Worker

I've been saving for a bandsaw that will be used primarily for resawing for furniture builds. Someday I may muster the courage to try my hand at an acoustic guitar build or mandolin build, but my main activities are furniture/cabinet related. I'm hoping to stay in the $1,600-$1,800 ball park. Right now the contenders that I'm looking at are the Laguna 14 SUV, and the Grizzly G0514x2. The Rikon 10-345 currently on sale for $1,500 also has my interest - especially given the 5 year warranty.

Those of you who have recently purchased one of these, what other saws did you consider and what factors led to your selection?
    Those of you who otherwise have an opinion, which saw in this price range do you feel offers the best long-term value for resawing and why?

I purchased the Rikon 10-345 seven years ago and have been very satisfied with it. The cons for me were price, large HP motor, all ball bearing guides,12 inch resaw cap. and a large table. Seven years ago I bought it for $800 and was able to pick it up at a local Woodcraft store. I have no experience with Laguna or Grizzly band saws.

I have the Grizzly and like it very much, but all three of the saws you list are good ones. Good luck.

The new Laguna 14 12 (I think that's it) is getting pretty positive press and reviews. I think a couple members here have one. I have the Rikon 10-325 and no complaints.

I have the Grizzly G0153X2 for my resaw saw. It's slightly smaller than the 19" saw you are looking at, but it has worked fine for me. I am running a 1" carbide blade in it and I have no complaints about it's resaw abilities. I use it for all kinds of rip and crosscut work that would be too dangerous or difficult on a table saw, and use my 14" saw for scroll work. I purchased the Grizzly saw based on previous experience with their equipment, and the fact that I could pick the saw up at their Bellingham store and save the shipping costs. Although I am primarily an OWWM guy, both of my bandsaws are Grizzlies.

I have the Laguna 1412 and have not got great results with resawing. It's terrific as a general purpose bandsaw for cutting rough stock or curves but for whatever reason, I haven't been able to dial it in for resawing anything above 6 or 7" consistently. I had extensive conversations with their customer service which were helpful at times and not so helpful at others but we never fully diagnosed the problem. I have a feeling the guide post is out of square and have made minor adjustments to mitigate the issue. Mine might be a lemon because there have been some glowing reviews on the saw.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with to the 14SUV or MM16. Sounds like you are in the right ballpark and if you are going to leave it set up exclusively for resawing, its probably a good idea to go as far as your budget will take you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I've been saving for a bandsaw that will be used primarily for resawing for furniture builds. Someday I may muster the courage to try my hand at an acoustic guitar build or mandolin build, but my main activities are furniture/cabinet related. I'm hoping to stay in the $1,600-$1,800 ball park. Right now the contenders that I'm looking at are the Laguna 14 SUV, and the Grizzly G0514x2. The Rikon 10-345 currently on sale for $1,500 also has my interest - especially given the 5 year warranty.

Those of you who have recently purchased one of these, what other saws did you consider and what factors led to your selection?
    Those of you who otherwise have an opinion, which saw in this price range do you feel offers the best long-term value for resawing and why?
    I have the smaller Rikon 10-325 (14") with the 12" resaw height. I use it primarily for resawing and get good results. I have taken the time to get it set up well and have an aftermarket Kreg fence and a tall wood auxiliary fence. I use the Woodslicer from Highland but have made other cheaper blades work as well. The Rikon was cheaper when I bought it (~$600). I modified the dust control baffle to improve flow. I spent an afternoon getting it dialed in, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. The story about the guides being difficult to adjust I didn't find to be true for me. More power might be nice, but I just go slow. I have been impressed when looking at the Laguna (I like the idea of a blade brake as mine takes a while to spin down). I've never even seen a Grizzly (tools, I've seen many of the bears up close and personal) in person, so no opinion.

I don't use a planer much. Instead, I resaw, and use the offcut for veneer. A bigger bandsaw would allow for wider / carbide blades. But my saw cuts well with a 1/2" Woodslicer. Mine is on a mobile base and gets moved for use.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 08-24-2014 at 9:12 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Rockler is currently offering a 10% discount on the Laguna's. Not sure how long this deal will last, but that brings the SUV close to $1,500. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

From your list, either Laguna or Grizzly would be good.
    I personally would get the Laguna.
    Last edited by thomas hsieh; 08-25-2014 at 2:28 PM.