Thread: Value of older small-shop machinery?

Value of older small-shop machinery?

Hi, I'm very new here, as a member at least. I've been woodworking for a long time and occasionally found very helpful tips on Sawmill Creek over the years. I'm hoping the community can give me some advice or insight. I used to have a small furniture shop in my garage, with a nice collection of semi-pro equipment, but about 2 years ago I moved to a different city, rented a section of a fully equipped shop, and put all of my own equipment in storage. Then I got a part-time job managing a student woodshop at a university, so now I have access to two fully equipped shops, and it's feeling ridiculous and hoarderish to hang onto my old equipment. It's time to let it go to people who will put it back to use. My problem is that it's been so long since I shopped for small shop equipment that I have no sense of the market value of this stuff. This forum seems like the place where people would know.

All of it is single-phase, and in good used condition. I don't need to juice every dime I can out of this equipment, and it would be silly to hold out for top dollar from a buyer while simultaneously paying to store the stuff. On the other hand, I don't want to look back on this in six months and feel like I stupidly gave away these machines that I once worked so hard to acquire. I'd rather sell locally (Pittsburgh, PA), but I'm obviously able to build shipping crates / pallets if that makes more sense. If anyone here would care to venture guesstimates as to what good-but-not-too-good prices would be to ask for these machines, I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-23-2014 at 9:34 AM.

From what I read on SMC , and my personal experience of buying used equipment on Craig's List, half of a current retail price of the equipment seems to be fair. If they equipment is currently not in production you should look to find the most reasonably similar items out there in the current market, and price to roughly half of that. There is some personal preference in there too. Do you want to price a little hight knowing people love to haggle (especially on Craig's List) or just put out the price you want as firm. I will say you meet some interesting people out on Craig's List, but I have had a lot of success buying and selling. Just be cautious. Work with people only by phone. Don't even give out your e-mail unless you love spam and hoaxes.

Good luck!

There are a number of threads on here about used equipment pricing, though you have some not-so-common pieces there. Still, half the retail price is a good starting point.
    I've had very good luck buying and selling on CL, and prefer emailing until i understand the person is serious then I give my phone number and text or call. I think you will limit your market slightly if you don't communicate via email and require phone only. It's pretty obvious if someone is a real person and a ww'er interested.
    Good luck with your sale! You should include your location on here in case someone is interested. (Just be careful you don't turn this thread into a for sale thread, or the mods will get you! &#128521.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    (Just be careful you don't turn this thread into a for sale thread, or the mods will get you! &#128521.
    Yep, I figured that could be an issue, especially since I'm new and not very familiar with the board's standards. If there's a better way or place to post a question like this, please let me know.

About half works for mundane items, but I don't think anyone will want an internal filter cyclone, so maybe 30% on that, while bandsaw is "desirable" and might get 65%. The C-300 and the vacuum press are both special; if someone just happens to want them you might get 70%, if no one wants them you might get 25%. Pittsburgh is a big town; you might do well but it is a crap shoot.

Look for similar items on Craig's list and note their asking price and condition and then price your tools accordingly.

This year I replaced most of my old wood working tools (that I had since the early 80's) and I felt I got a reasonable price selling them on Craig's list

My Delta RC-33 13" planer sold for $525 and a 6" Rockwell 37-220 sold for $475 (but both were in great condition). I never would have thought to ask that much initially, but after doing some research I set the price and both sold in less than a week

Hi Jon. My success's & failures on buying & selling shop machinery have been like this. "BUY high, sell low!" - although I'd like the visa versa. When it comes time to liquidate an unused or a to be replaced with something better tool, to me, speed is important. It's in the way, or inconvient, or I want to put the money towards something I really want. The 1/2 of new is a fair starting point. (for machines) If your selling high end hand tools, seems you can sometimes get 2/3rds of the price. I don't factor in "tax" on a tool. Often the tools have gone up in price since I bought, so to charge someone 1/2 of the tax (IMO) is not what I do.
    I live in the "burbs" so I'm less convient for someone to come by, so I lower my price more than in the city for similar items.
    And finally, the initial "sting" of selling something at a "great deal for the buyer" isn't a bad thing. Often a buyer is someone new, or inexperienced and I like to give them a real break. Yes, sometimes when they drive away I think if I held out longer, maybe a few more weeks, dealt with another 10 emails, showed another 5 potenntial customers, I could have got 20% more. But a week after I've sold low, I feel GREAT! The cash is already often spent on the new tool which I have coveted. It's there in my shop, gleaming away. The "sting" dissapates and is soon forgotten.
    Ironically I actually get a good feeling inside thinking about some of the older tools I've sold for a steal. I got rid of them right away, gave some else a real break/deal, and kinda' think I've put some dough into the Karma bank as well.
    I've watched items on Craig's that haven't sold for months and months because the seller belives his $1500 drum sander is now worth $1300 because he's including 2 rolls of paper with it. Guess some people just need to squeeze every dime they can get. Don't get me wrong, I like cash as much as the next guy, but sometimes just letting go, taking a quick no hassle sale, well, it's my way of doing business. I just sold a cabinet saw, 3HP, with a 52" fence. Older Grizzly style. I mean like 20 years old) Ran like a top. But it was, well, not too attractive. I said $350 firm. 1st chap out looked at it. I said, well it's got this chip, this mark, this doesn't slide as well as it should, etc etc ... He said thanks for being so honest but you've priced it so reasonable I'm taking it. He felt great, I felt great, and we're still keeping in touch years later.
    My 2 cents. PS: also, I know that most machines have little "quirks" that they have or develope. When you sell at a real discount, it compensates for those things too. I like to divulge all and any little problems a machine might have. It's just plain fun being honest. Like most on this forum, I'd like to think we all feel like that.

Having recently purchased several used power tools, 1/2 list is a good starting point. I definitely would use CL to determine where people are starting their prices. However, on CL there seems to be a significant percentage of unrealistic pricing. For example a DW735 planer has been listed at $625 in my area for at least a month. Not surprising that it remain unsold (new are about that). But, in general, quality tools go for pretty good prices. For quick sale, I would go to 90% of the "reasonable" price. That's still a great deal for someone but you aren't giving them away. Also be aware that used tool dealers are combing CL, looking to pick up machines cheap that they can flip. I would feel really bad if I sold to one of them.

Also, if you don't want to set the tools up for demonstration purposes, you might have to a give a little more on the price. I bought a couple of tools from a guy storing them in a ministorage place and there was no way to even test that the motor runs. I got a reduction on the price because of the risk I was taking. It turned out really well, though.

As to "paying it forward", personally, I'm happy paying a reasonable price for a reasonable quality tool. I feel the same about the selling side. No need to give your tools away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Holmes View Post
    Yep, I figured that could be an issue, especially since I'm new and not very familiar with the board's standards. If there's a better way or place to post a question like this, please let me know.
    Yep, sure is...become a paying contributor for 6 dollars and post in the for sale thread. Pretty cheap advertising I'd say, eh?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I also want to thank the mods for so nicely handling the issue of this potentially becoming an advertising thread. Deleting the mentions of particular machines while leaving the generalities stand was a classy solution.

Let's say in 3-6 years from now you desire to have a home shop. Can you afford to replace the machines you now have and will they be of the same quality? Know a few guys who have sold items that they thought they would not want/use again, only to regret the decision later on....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post

Let's say in 3-6 years from now you desire to have a home shop. Can you afford to replace the machines you now have and will they be of the same quality? Know a few guys who have sold items that they thought they would not want/use again, only to regret the decision later on....
    I wholly agree with this -- and having changed jobs too frequently for my likes, you have to factor in if the access that you have (with the jobs) will be there a year from now ...

The rented fully equipped shop seems like it depends on the people that the shop is shared with -- may be good now, but what happens when the jerk moves in ...

Just a cautionary note on if your situation is stable enough to get rid of your tools ... this is totally different if you are looking to replace the tools that you have in case you have to ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

50% of new value for equivalent machinery is a good/fair price to move a used, functional, good condition item at. You can plan on never getting more than 75% even if you are selling a year-old hardly used, high-demand item, so keep that in mind. If you have a modern good quality item and there is demand in your area you can ask 60-65% and probably sell it fairly soon. If you are selling anything where there is a newer better model out you are in the 30-50% range automatically. Remember that you are offering no warranty and (to the buyer) a questionable history, so you can't ask anywhere near new price when their is a newer, cooler thing out.

If you have tools people want and you price in the 25-35% range you will move them within a week with no hassle on craigslist, if you price ~50% you will move them in a month or two and if you price 60%ish you will probably move them within the year. The 60% effort gets you a lot of hassle (meeting people, emails etc.) for not a lot of return in my experience.