Thread: Rust Hunt Gold

Rust Hunt Gold

Poking around in an antique/junk store today where I had found some cheap planes a while back and scored three nice saws

A Disston and Sons #12 crosscut saw, 26" long and 11ppi. Chip carved apple handle is a bit beat up but the saw plate is straight and true. This will make a fantastic user.

A Disston and Sons 26" Miter Box Saw. Dirty and stained, but otherwise in very good shape.

A Shurly & Dietrich 20" Crosscut saw from Canada. Very similar to a small Disston I have. About 10ppi

Grand total...................$8.50 out the door. I like this place.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 08-23-2014 at 3:50 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    That is like finding hidden treasure!!
    All good users . The #12 is a good as it gets IMH.
    Cheers, Mike

Looking forward to restoring all three.

Your #12 is prettier than the last on I rehabilitated.
    (It found a new home in BC.)

If you're disassembling the works, give the handle a good soak.
    You'll be surprised at what comes out afterwards.

That apple is amazingly dense stuff, and it gets thirsty through the years.

Blog Entries
    Great finds.

Wish there were planes and saws as nice and inexpensive around here.

+1 on soaking the handles in some boiled linseed oil. Maybe mixed 50/50 with turpentine.

Looking forward to some 'after' pictures.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Great finds.

Wish there were planes and saws as nice and inexpensive around here.

+1 on soaking the handles in some boiled linseed oil. Maybe mixed 50/50 with turpentine.

Looking forward to some 'after' pictures.

jtk
    It does seem that the farther East you go the easier time you have with this stuff. I'll try the linseed oil/turpentine mixture once I get the filth off of the saw handle. She looks pretty thirsty.

Yesterday I attended a hand tool garage sale that was publicized by my local woodworkers club. Didn't ask but my assumption was that maybe a member had passed and his widow was selling off the tools with assistance from some club member. I got there shortly after the 8 am opening time and saw an estimated 30 to 40 folks wandering through the back yard and the garage. My intention was to maybe pick up another Stanley no. 4 and check out any vintage oil sharpening stones and hand saws. Of course I was surprised to find in a back row, partially hidden, a Bedrock 604C with flat sides marked $45. I grabbed it right away. Not any oil stones or saws that I wanted but I did also pick up a Bester 700 grit ceramic waterstone for $15. Research on the net tells me that this requires soaking and that process can take a long time. One guy helping the lady told me that he would leave it in the water tub.

Haven't tried the Bester yet but the Bedrock was soaked in Evapo-Rust for about six hours and came through very clean. The sole seems pretty flat and I'll probably just clean it with sandpaper on the cast iron bed of my table saw. Both the knob and handle are not broken or repaired. I believe it's a type 6a and has a Sweetheart cutter. The cutter needs some work to remove a chip and there seems to be a slight high spot along the back which leaves some space between it and the chip breaker. I'd sold off several Bedrocks and was pretty happy with some of the basic Stanley's I have but this was too good to pass up.

I once held a tool garage sale but it was mostly automotive and mechanics tools. We don't see this kind of event here very often.