Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: riding mower

My first thought, as others have said; is the gas cap. I had a rental engine that kept stalling until I realized the gas cap wasn't venting properly. Try loosening the cap when it stalls—hopefully it will start right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunkele View Post
    Some of the older caps had a screw open vent in the middle of the cap. No matter how you look at it the gas tank needs to be vented or the gas will not flow to the carb properly. Sometimes the hose will deteriorate and a piece of rubber will clog the needle valve at the carb. Crack the cap loose and go for a ride, but gas will splash out if the tank is too full. If your mower has the tank under the seat it is highly likely there is a fuel pump that can go bad. Ride the mower until it quits and give it a quick shot of starting fluid is the quick way to check for lack of fuel. Something in the ignition electronics can be breaking down under heat too. A lot of things can be wrong. Since it does start and run I would first check fuel situation.
    I replace the plug today ,better but no cure, tomorrow maybe I can replace the hoses and if this do not fix it then the car. rebuild will be next or maybe I will buy a new one

replacing the fuel hoses did not cure the problem BUT the hoses are transparent so I could watch the air bubbles and the fuel flow thru. the hose, how can I fix a vapor lock ? the car. got a can -looking thing on the car . bottom , is this called a fuel shut-off sol. ? how do this thing work ?

I still think it is the gas cap that is causing this you said you cut a new gasket did you vent it. That would be you vapor lock problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I still think it is the gas cap that is causing this you said you cut a new gasket did you vent it. That would be you vapor lock problem
    NO, I cut a small hole in the center of the gasket and I can see thru. the hole in the cap BUT maybe it is admitting too much air

The gas leaves hose and goes into the carb. Once inside the carb the holes become very small. The gas goes through the needle/float valve into the float bowl (can looking thing?) on the bottom of the carb. The float rises and shuts the fuel off from the hose via the needle valve once the float bowl is full enough. When the engine is turned to start the vacuum created pulls the gas up into the intake manifold via more small holes. If these small holes get blocked and they can, the engine usually will not run at all or try to run but shut right back down. As the gas is used the float comes down with the gas level in the bowl and opens the needle valve to let more fuel in. I believe your blockage is before or at the the needle valve orifice since you say it runs for a while before it shuts down. Enough gas is not entering the float bowl to keep it running.

I got the gas cap on order, so will bump this post after the cap are installed
    in the mean time , I found a forum that were dealing with this mower [ LT2000 ]
    the problems range from the switch under the seat to the muffler heat travel thru. the frame to heat the car. and the gasoline tube , finding the forum answer one question , my mower problems are not alone but are very wide spread

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    My new gas cap came in the mail today and I install it , the mower run all of the time except when the tank got low on fuel, so , the posters that mention the gas cap were right , thank everybody for the hints and help, the line from the tank to the filter are install in the center of the tank , a tubing outlet on each end of the tank will be a big improving

Good deal!

I mention to the store [sear ] clerks about this problem that other people was having with this mower and the clerks wonder why the Sear's Head Quarters never heard of the problem and and and