Thread: 5 hp Unisaw for hobby use

5 hp Unisaw for hobby use

I currently have a 3 hp Bridgewood cabinet saw, basically a clone of the Unisaw. I have always liked it and it meets my needs, but I also like a good deal on good used tools and probably have a bit of a tool searching/collecting problem.

I have a possible line on a 5 hp Rockwell Unisaw which I am considering. I have always had an affinity for Rockwell tools, probably because my father had a couple.
    The question is, does the 5 hp motor pose any issues for a home shop? Does it pull that many more amps then my current 3 hp?
    Any other comments about the saw or things I might not be thinking about?

Most of my 5 hp stuff is on 30 amp breaker. 3 hp stuff 20 amp..

5 hp will use more power. You also need to know if the motors are 1 phase or three phase. If single phase 5hp @ 220-240 volts, most likely 30 amp breaker and 10 gauge wiring is required. Ask your electrician.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 08-23-2014 at 5:52 PM. Reason: clarification.

It's a single phase. I'll check my electrical. Thanks all

one thing to keep in mind if you have not used saws with 5 HP or more is kick back is a lot more powerful. always a good idea to stand out side the line of fire on a saw like the UNI that is not equipped with a riving knife. if your ripping reaction timber with 5 pony's your not going to stall that blade as easy and if your standing in the line of fire you can forget all hopes of ever expanding your family. BTW what model has a 5hp uni mount motor?
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-23-2014 at 6:45 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Bummer, the seller backed out of selling it. Oh well, I'm happy with my saw but it would have been a fun project.
    I think it was a Rockwell 34-761 based on the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    one thing to keep in mind if you have not used saws with 5 HP or more is kick back is a lot more powerful. always a good idea to stand out side the line of fire on a saw like the UNI that is not equipped with a riving knife. if your ripping reaction timber with 5 pony's your not going to stall that blade as easy and if your standing in the line of fire you can forget all hopes of ever expanding your family. BTW what model has a 5hp uni mount motor?

So are you saying that the 3 horse will stall or nearly so and the 5 won't? Having trouble wrapping my head around this one. A blade turning at the same rpm will fling a board or cutoff the same the way I see it. I see it as almost all inertia and power has very little to contribute to it. It happens in milliseconds and I don't see where you are going to see any difference in how quickly or how hard the kickback is. I might be way off base in my thinking and if so I look forward to being enlightened. Either way though a 5 horse would likely muscle through anything he throws at it. Not that it throws at him....

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    So are you saying that the 3 horse will stall or nearly so and the 5 won't? Having trouble wrapping my head around this one. A blade turning at the same rpm will fling a board or cutoff the same the way I see it. I see it as almost all inertia and power has very little to contribute to it. It happens in milliseconds and I don't see where you are going to see any difference in how quickly or how hard the kickback is. I might be way off base in my thinking and if so I look forward to being enlightened. Either way though a 5 horse would likely muscle through anything he throws at it. Not that it throws at him....
    clearly you don't have a saw 5 hp or more or have not dealt with kick back from larger HP saws or::::::::::::::::::::.

Ripping long stock you have lots of leverage and if wood pinches in on the blade you you can easily stop a 3 hp saw and the motor trips out. 5 hp will run you for the money. 7.5 with take charge. think what you want the saw don't care ether way. now if you been cutting select and better hardwoods and sheet stock all your life you don't know when reaction timber is. you need only work in a pallet shop with 3 and 4 grade to see kick back on a daily bases from larger HP saws. enlighten yourself buddy just saying
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-23-2014 at 7:26 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Bummer, the seller backed out of selling it. Oh well, I'm happy with my saw but it would have been a fun project.
    I think it was a Rockwell 34-761 based on the picture.
    I am not Mr Delta but the only model is the new one(handle all up front) with 5 hp the 36-L552

jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    clearly you don't have a saw 5 hp or more or have not dealt with kick back from larger HP saws or::::::::::::::::::::.

Ripping long stock you have lots of leverage and if wood pinches in on the blade you you can easily stop a 3 hp saw and the motor trips out. 5 hp will run you for the money. 7.5 with take charge. think what you want the saw don't care ether way. now if you been cutting select and better hardwoods and sheet stock all your life you don't know when reaction timber is. you need only work in a pallet shop with 3 and 4 grade to see kick back on a daily bases from larger HP saws. enlighten yourself buddy just saying
    We were clearly talking about two different things. I thought you were speaking of cutoffs or ill advised setups flinging pieces at a high rate of speed. If you don't respect a tool and use common sense it can do bodily harm regardless of the horsepower. As for enlightening myself I will laugh that off and leave it be. You don't know my background but let me assure you it isn't making pallets and I can show you photos of reactions that turn timber to toothpicks.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 08-23-2014 at 8:54 PM.

I agree, a bigger hp saw is more dangerous in case of kickback. Once, 40 years ago I was working in a house, and another guy was ripping 2x4's in the garage, and I heard a "bang", and went to check it out, and there was a 2x4 sticking through the wall between garage and house. And it was only one of those motorized lightweight table saws. I spent a few months cutting cabinet parts on a big old 16" powermatic TS, and luckily we used a splitter on it, I had a healthy respect for THAT saw.