Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early phone numbers

Early phone numbers

I found a nice wooden triangular rule today for 50 cents, picked it up. It advertises the Barber-Greene coal handling equipment. Barber-Green was started in 1917 I think and eventually became known for their asphalt paving equipment. I thought the phone number was a little weird, it states "Phone State 5923." I thought this was a 4 digit number and began researching the time when a 4 digit number would have been used and found an interesting tidbit of info I had never heard before.

Phone numbers originally had only one digit, then 2, 3 and so forth as needed. When they realized that 4 digit numbers were not going to be enough they decided to go with 3 letters and 4 numbers, I think this is when letters were added to the dial pad. In order to make the 3 letters easy to remember they assigned a word to it that had those letters as the first three. For example a phone number would be advertised as "Harrison 9676". To dial it you would dial HAR-9676. I am not sure when this started but it was prior to 1930 and ended by 1947. (TELEPHONE NUMBERS) The telephone number on my rule is "State 5923", or STA-5923. Probably from sometime in the '20s. Of course none of this is researched in depth, it is just my best guess from the info I found.

rule full.jpgRule phone.jpg
    Last edited by Moses Yoder; 08-23-2014 at 6:46 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Early 50's we were on a party line with operators. Our number was 10F12. 10F was the plug location in the central office the 12 was 1 long and 2 shorts.
    Then they switched us to the 7 "digits" in our case NIagra5-####. My brother still has that number at the same location after all these years.

I understand the theory at the time was that people wouldn't be able to remember more than 5 numbers so they used the leading words (mine was SUnset) as an easier to remember option. So SUnset 22292 instead of 7822292
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

We were EMpire 24834. That was a long time ago!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

In the early '80's I worked for a company located near a small town. The entire town had the same exchange (first 3 digits), so you only needed to dial 4 digits to make a local call.

John

About the same time, I was living in a small town (early 1980s) and if you dialed 4 numbers, it just kept in the local exchange. It was a big deal when they had to get a second exchange. Now, they must have at least 5 local exchanges in the same town.

Growing up we had a PArkway number.
    In the early 60s you could dial a 3 digit number that wasn't an area code, and be connected to an open line.
    We used to get a bunch of kids on after school.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I worked in an old building a few miles down the road that had the original business name and phone number painted nearly billboard size on it . It was 28 or 29.....technology must have been moving pretty slowly to invest in that. While I was working there it was repainted in a preservation effort. But we saw no increase in business even though the new company used the old name!

Phone numbers have sure changed. As a kid if I was at a friend's house I picked up the phone, turned the crank and told the operator I wanted the Hubers, to call home.
    Then things got harder as the area got bigger, I then would have to turn the crank and ask to be connected to 976w2.
    But now things have gone back, I take the phone out of my pocket press a button and say call home.
    Life is good;-)

Blog Entries
    The changes took place at different times in different areas.

Where I grew up went from one Central office to three. My recollection is there were only two or three exchanges at the time BEacon 2, 3 & maybe 4.

Our number changed when the first new one (CApitol 3) opened in the late 1950s. A small town/city to the north of us also went to dial service at that time.

I was working with the phone company when the last one opened in the remote part of the area. That was in the late 1960s. They went from a live operator to dial phones. All the old phones had to be taken out and exchanged for new phones.

This was in the San Francisco bay area.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I am not sure when this started but it was prior to 1930 and ended by 1947. (TELEPHONE NUMBERS) The telephone number on my rule is "State 5923", or STA-5923. Probably from sometime in the '20s. Of course none of this is researched in depth, it is just my best guess from the info I found.
    I was born in 1949 and when I was in first and second grade our phone number was WAL 3452, so there were still locations using the letters as late as 1956-57
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

when I was first married in 1971 ours was Hunter 3 4317 or HU3 4317

The first phone # I can remember was DIamond(34)8-83??. This had to be early '60s.

Blog Entries
    Pre-dial phones our number was 5359J. Dial phones, it became ALpine 5-4486. After I moved away, that exchange became 255 (same keys on dial or touch pad but no letters).

As a kid, our number was HAmilton 5-2040. This when on to the mid-60's in my area (central MN). Area codes were just starting to come in to play about that time.

Where we live now, you can still make a local call using 5 digits....