Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early phone numbers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Runchey View Post
    We got married in 1953 and had a Mercury 9 phone number and we still have the same number, now dialed as 639 xxxx. I don't remember when they dropped the Mercury. Seems to me we might of started out with just 4 digits for a while, small town then.
    In the early days each central office had its own designation. Mercury xxxx was a way for a caller to tell the operator across town in the Peoria central office how to route the call.

As an area grew there would be a Mercury 2, 3, 4 and so on.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yup...the phone number in the house I lived from birth through 1st grade had a phone number OR6-3538 with the OR standing for "Orleans". That would still be the exchange, but they were named back then. (Amazing I can remember that number being 57 years old! But not most of the subsequent numbers...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's funny, I can't remember what my phone number was back then, probably because I never called myself (if I did I probably got a busy signal). But, my Grandmother was WA(lnut)5-4811, and my first girlfriend's was CH(erry)9-5204. Yup we had those name/number combinations in Canada too. When I moved into my current home 44years ago our ring was (two short) we have the same ring now to denote a long distance call coming in. Usually a
    Telemarketer warning..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Yea, the 'ring' you mention, Bill, is something I remember early on from when it was common for "party lines" to be provisioned in a neighborhood. Phones were very much a luxury at that point and the technology just couldn't support everyone having their own "line" cost effectively. We didn't keep the party line, however...it went private. My father was in insurance sales and the privacy was essential for business calls.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Our phone number was:

ALpine 36949 = AL36949 = 2536949

another prefix was SunSet = SS = 77
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution