Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need a new lawnmower.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    I just came back from the Honda dealership,ended up buying the Honda mower I had mentioned with a self charging system(12 volt key start ,just like a car),and a Hydrostatic transmission.
    The last couple of days learned a lot about mowers by just reading you comments and opinions,and at the end of it all I think I made a wise choice.
    Thank you all again.
    Nice one, Hope it serves you well Ken.

PHM

I don't understand why people have no problem buying a junk Murray or whatever lawnmower at Walmart for $200 every few years, but won't spend $400 to $700 for a decent lawnmower that will last at least 10 years. I suppose there are a lot of lower income people where even $200 is a struggle to come up with.

Neighbor had one of those cheap mowers and mower almost an acre for 15 years then he ave it away to the other neighbor who used it for about 10 years till it needed new wheels.

Paul,Thanks,I'm sure this mower will last a longtime,I already took it for a spin around the yard and was impressed with how quiet the motor is and yet it seems to cut effortlessly. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I don't understand why people have no problem buying a junk Murray or whatever lawnmower at Walmart for $200 every few years, but won't spend $400 to $700 for a decent lawnmower that will last at least 10 years. I suppose there are a lot of lower income people where even $200 is a struggle to come up with.
    +1 ,I still think a good quality but used mower can be had for ~$200 which is a far better option than a NEW $200 junk but people are drawn to new anything and walmart knows that.
    Last edited by ken masoumi; 08-25-2014 at 8:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    I have a Honda HRX self-propelled walk-behind with the hydrostatic transmission. I've had this for 10+ years, and if it ever dies, I'll get another. The hydrostatic transmission, although pricey, helps me maneuver around trees, flower boxes, and up and down the hills on my lot. Highly recommended.
    Here is a third for Honda HRX. I've had mine for 12 years and would buy another. The high strength plastic deck has held up very well. In SoCal, you have to mow 12 months a year and this time of year 2x per week. On my street where the minimum front yard depth is 50', virtually everyone that does their own lawn has one except one who just upgraded to a monster commercial unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Neighbor had one of those cheap mowers and mower almost an acre for 15 years then he ave it away to the other neighbor who used it for about 10 years till it needed new wheels.
    The quality of a 25 year old mower probably exceeds that of the $200 Walmart special.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I have a Toro "personal pace" mower I got years (10 or more) ago. It was the more expensive of the two personal pace models available at the time. Believe it has a 7.5 HP motor. The dealer really recommended it over the cheaper model. I've been delighted with it. The faster you walk the faster it goes without any extra effort. It has a battery starter. Battery went dead years ago as would be expected. I never replaced it because the thing is still so easy to start. Pump it 2 or 3 times and it starts on the first pull. I drain the fuel out at the end of the season, let it run dry, then disconnect the fuel hose so the carb doesn't gum up. Don't know if the quality is the same as it was or if they have "special models" for the big box stores.
    I agree with this assessment. I did just discover that the Tecumseh, which manufactured the engine on my 10 year old Toro, is no longer in business. There is an internet outfit which bought all of the spare parts, so things are still available.

I would NEVER buy another Personal Pace mower as, the way it operates, it puts constant pressure on the bottom of your spine. In essence, you "push" the mower along...every so slightly, but that is what it takes to "actuate" the self propelled mechanism. I find, with a previously fractured spine, that this small amount of constant pressure just kills my lower back.

When I buy my next mower, it will either be a Snapper, or more likely, a Honda. I will be looking for a self propelled mechanism which "pulls" you along when you activate the drive. Honda because they seem to be a good quality, and Snapper, for the same reason--although that may have changed over the years.

Not sure how the Lawnboys are now
    Ours started to leak gas out of the air cleaner at one year and one week.
    I emailed Lawnboy and told them the problem and also mentioned to them that because of the cold Spring we had, that delayed me getting the lawn mower out a few weeks earlier.

They emailed me back and said "that's a shame"...

BTW - if you search for lawnboy leaks gas there's all kinds of hits.

Lawnboy is just a name now. It's nothing at all like the one my dad bought in the 1960's and gave to me in the 1970's that I ran for 5 or 6 years after that.

The quality of a 25 year old mower probably exceeds that of the $200 Walmart special.
    We replaced the broken Lawnboy from above with a $147.00 WalMart special.
    It came with a one year warranty and for ten bucks I got the extended two year warranty.
    If/when it breaks down in the second year, WalMart will either replace it or give me a full refund.

FWIW - it's been my experience in life that a lawn mower and/or tractor will cost ~ $100.00 a year. If you buy a cheap $100.00 mower it will last a year. If you buy a $1000.00 mower it will last 10 years.
    That's how it managed to work out for me over the years.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 08-26-2014 at 3:52 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have a JD JX75 purchased new in 1998, it's been a great mower, cuts very well, smooth, reasonably quite and a 1st pull starter. Regular maintenance from day 1, If it was stolen tomorrow, I'd hunt down another on the used market.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 08-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.