Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need a new lawnmower.

need a new lawnmower.

I remember 7-8 months ago I asked for your recommendation for a snowblower,I listened to you then and I'm glad I did because the Ariens snowblower that was recommended worked flawlessly last winter,now I'm here again looking for your advice and recommendation on a lawn mower.

the yard I have is less that 1/2 acre with a few trees,lots of bumps ,small hills,big hills,and a long driveway with a deep slope.
    I am seriously considering a self propelled gas lawn mower with variable speed for when I go up the driveway to cut the grass in front of the house, or for when I need to go up and down those hills in the yard.the push mower I now have has been ok but I'm getting too old to push this thing up and down the yard for 2 hours every other week,I need something not too heavy .something simple, easy to use.

What brand do you own and/or recommend?rear wheel drive or not? what makes/types I should stay away from?
    Does Ariens also make good reliable lawn mowers?I noticed they have a model with "Swivel wheels" like a dolly for turning tight corners,HD also sells Toro,Lawn-boy,what about them?
    Please let me know your opinion.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ken,

As for self propelled mowers, I suggest you check out Honda lawn mowers. We've had one the last 4 years or so and it's done really well. No issues. It starts, runs and cuts well.

Good luck with it.

PHM

I have a Toro "personal pace" mower I got years (10 or more) ago. It was the more expensive of the two personal pace models available at the time. Believe it has a 7.5 HP motor. The dealer really recommended it over the cheaper model. I've been delighted with it. The faster you walk the faster it goes without any extra effort. It has a battery starter. Battery went dead years ago as would be expected. I never replaced it because the thing is still so easy to start. Pump it 2 or 3 times and it starts on the first pull. I drain the fuel out at the end of the season, let it run dry, then disconnect the fuel hose so the carb doesn't gum up. Don't know if the quality is the same as it was or if they have "special models" for the big box stores.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I have always liked Toro as a brand. I had an old Wheel Horse riding mower ( Toro owns Wheel Horse) Even after 15 or 20 years I could get any part for it from my dealer next day.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Always was a wheel horse person, dad still has two (ones 40 years old, and the other is 25, and they both get used heavily), but now I use a push mower and I think there's only one to get - Honda. I've got one that's 10 years old and I think I've changed the plug once and the oil one time a year.

Mine's old enough that it's single speed, but the new ones are 3 I believe (the harmony entry level mower that's about $400).

Lots of torque, quiet, starts on the first pull every single time, easy on gas and the deck is nice and deep and the mulch function works well. I mow a quarter acre on less than a five gallon can each year, including fall leaf clean up.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 08-23-2014 at 8:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Hi Ken,

As for self propelled mowers, I suggest you check out Honda lawn mowers. We've had one the last 4 years or so and it's done really well. No issues. It starts, runs and cuts well.

Good luck with it.

PHM
    There's a model that someone recommended it is Honda HRX 217HYC, he says in 10 plus years he's owned it there has been not a single issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I have a Toro "personal pace" mower I got years (10 or more) ago. .
    I just read in a review that TOROs have the thickest/heaviest frames in residential lawn mowers,I don't know if it's true or not but with thick sheet metal there's less chance of rust.

So far ,Toro & Honda,gets the thumbs up.How about John Deere? these names have always meant good quality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    There's a model that someone recommended it is Honda HRX 217HYC, he says in 10 plus years he's owned it there has been not a single issue with it.

I just read in a review that TOROs have the thickest/heaviest frames in residential lawn mowers,I don't know if it's true or not but with thick sheet metal there's less chance of rust.
    2 very good brands here no doubt. If I were in the market for a new mower these are the 2 I'd be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    There's a model that someone recommended it is Honda HRX 217HYC.
    I have a Honda HRX self-propelled walk-behind with the hydrostatic transmission. I've had this for 10+ years, and if it ever dies, I'll get another. The hydrostatic transmission, although pricey, helps me maneuver around trees, flower boxes, and up and down the hills on my lot. Highly recommended.

Whatever you get, don't buy a Delta.
    Parts may not be available for it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Whatever you get, don't buy a Delta.
    Parts may not be available for it.
    Lol,I hear you.

Gone through about 10 different mowers over the years. Had a J Deere - lots of problems and an indifferent dealer. Have a Honda 3 years now and its the best I've ever had. Always starts on the first pull.

I am tickled pink with my Craigslist find. Sears mower from the '80s. It was bought new and then run until the air filter clogged and it didn't run anymore; after that it was put in a barn until recently found by this guy who repairs and resells mowers. He rebuilt the carb and installed a new filter. I traded in a non-running mower and paid $50 cash. I expect it to last 20 years.

mower 1.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I use a commercial walk-behind Lesco, which is now also branded as Cub Cadet.

I recommend the Toro mowers, for their T-Bar steering.
    The smallest mower I would consider for a yard your size is made by Billy Goat.

I don't know what's available, above the 48th parallel.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/profession...r-drive-mowers
    http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Cat...er-residential

IMO Deere may still be the gold standard in the large Ag equipment (200K +) but in their smaller tractors and residential equipment they are charging way more for green paint than it is worth.