Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you cut all these notches?

How would you cut all these notches?

Trying to build a picnic table using lots of 1 1/2" x 6" finished dimension cedar. Design calls for lots of notches cut 1 1/2" x 3" deep to interlock the framing. Want to cut accurate tight notches to provide strength best I can but there are lots of pieces and the notches are not all in same locations so will be lots of setup work. Thinking a dado setup may be best but will require lots of repositioning and test cuts to get accurate width cuts. The more I look at this the more difficult it gets.

http://www.rockler.com/square-picnic-table-plan

Any bright ideas that would speed this up or work better? Some type of template and use my big router?
    Thanks.
    Pete

I have done some notches like you need by circular saw method plus chisel to remove waste. Carefully mark the edges that define each notch and then with circular saw cutting just to the line. Then make several cuts in the middle to make it easy to break off / chisel the waste. It works great. Key is to get your saw depth cut correct. You may be able to stack pieces together and clamp them so you can cut a bunch notches at once. They don't have to be perfect, just relatively tight.

I've done what Pat describes except on a tablesaw, holding the stock against the miter fence....much faster/more accurate than I can do with a skill saw.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Radio Alarm saw with a dado set.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 08-23-2014 at 9:50 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Don't have access to a "radio alarm" saw.
    Will try the table saw and gang cut. Thinking I could use an off cut as a spacer for positioning as it will take 2 or 3 cuts with the dado. Probably the fastest way. Just lots of setups.
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Wake up with Buzz Saw and the boys on a.m. 1400 on your radio alarm saw.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Yes. That's how I'd do it. Many times I've wished that I still had my old RA saw. But I don't, and really don't have room for one. I could get rid of my lathe - naw, don't think so.
    Regards,
    Dick

Is this to sit outside, and be used?

Yep outdoors. Lots of sun and humidity here in Louisiana.
    Going to epoxy the feet. This is Spanish Cedar. Going to just use clear Thompsons Wood Seal finish as can reapply easily annually. Planning to use Titebond III.

I have found that dimension lumber is not the same. You may find some notches tight and some loose unless you run it through your planner before you start.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I purchased all the lumber rough cut and surfaced it myself so it is all exactly the same thickness.
    Here in LA, cypress is commonly available but I was unable to find any that wasn't full of knot holes. Looked for white oak but just not sold here unless special ordered at incredible prices. Was recommended by suppliers here to use the Spanish cedar. I know it is used in humidors. Hope it holds up and is strong enough. Sure is soft. Really beautiful wood and absolutely clear with no knots at all and no bark edges. Oh and expensive!!
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 08-23-2014 at 11:54 PM.

If you are already committed to that design you are stuck with it, there are tons of picnic table designs that are high quality that don't require dadoes though if you are not yet committed to the design.

The only option that might be easier for you than the circular saw/chisel route is to do it with a router and guide clamp/board.

You can make a simple jig to clamp to the piece. Use a piece of plywood with cleat underneath to clamp to the board, and a fence to left side for guide on portable hand saw. When you make the first pass, you trim the edge of the plywood to give you the inside edge of cut. Then just set the depth of cut for the dado you want and make several passes and chisel the bottom and any remaining wood. A router can also be used in a similar manner but again you will need to make multiple passes as suggested earlier.

Nice sharp handsaw and a chisel?
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Jigsaw could also work to clear most of the waste and to clean it up, a template/jig and a router with a flush trim bit and bearing.

Cedar is so so soft. If you look at it funny, it will ding, dent, or gouge on you. You'll find this out soon.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.