Thread: Took the Creeker's advice.

Took the Creeker's advice.

A while back the group suggested I find a local turning club to join and I did. I also found a group member to give me some instructions.
    I don't claim to have made each and every cut on this natural edge bowl today but I made a lot of them. The instructor would explain the cut to be made, make a cut to show me how, and then watch me while I made 1 or 2 cuts. If satisfied he would tell me to keep going and walk away. (I suspect he was watching me closely.) Four hours later we completed 2 bowls, 1 winged bowl totally finished and left left wet and another typical bowl which we bagged wet after thick turning it. Bradford Pear, 7" X 4" and 5 inches tall.

I haven't had this much fun in a while. Now that I know that with time I can do turning and enjoy it, I need a lathe. As soon as Jet has a 1642 on sale I will surrender to the vortex.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! Welcome to the vortex.

Nice bowl. I was in our local Woodcraft store the other day and asked when the Powermatic and jet sales were coming. He said he can sell jet right now on the sale price but didn't know about Powermatic. Usually that's a Black Friday event. You may want to check and see about the 1642 at Woodcraft.
    Dave F.

Jet 'End-of-Summer' sale runs August 29-Sept 8th. Check 'Tool Nut' for prices they are generally hard to beat especially with shipping. I bought mine several years ago from them and got free shipping, and home delivery with lift gate service.

Good move an finding a club and mentor. Good bowl, NE bowls can be tricky to keep the bark on.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Nice bowl and welcome aboard.

Very nice work Jim! Looking forward to seeing photos of your first lathe!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

With a 1000 mile drive, gas and probably for me 2 nights on the road I am better off waiting for the sale.

I do appreciate your effort and it is nice to know of another place for used lathe equipment.