Thread: How hard is switching to Helical Cutting Heads?

How hard is switching to Helical Cutting Heads?

Specifically, I am looking at switching to a helical head in a powermatic 201 planer - anyone done this? Or similar? Doesn't seem too hard from the research I've done, but someone with first hand knowledge might be able to enlighten me even more...

And also an older Powermatic Model 60 planer - the old green one. Can't find any information whatsoever on how easy/hard it is to change that guy.

Also, does it save trouble to just have byrd install the bearings for you, and then skip the pressing out/pressing on steps? This doesn't require re-shimming or anything does it?

Thanks in advance,

Will

I Googled the planer and it looks like Powermatic has used the 201 model number for two planers. One is the standard generic four post planer like everyone sells, and the other one is a much heavier planer that appears to be very much like a Delta DC 580 planer. I've put a helical head in both. The four post planer was a Grizzly, and I did it seven or eight years ago, and although I don't remember a lot of the details I do recall it wasn't particularly difficult and I think it took me about three or four hours working by myself. Changing the head in the Delta CD 580 was about the same only two of us did it, and again it was about a three or four hour job, not rushing. You'll need an exploded view of the machine, a good set of tools and take your time. I always remove and replace my own bearings, and having a bearing puller, or set of pullers, really helps. The Harbor Freight pullers will work fine for a job like this, or you can borrow or rent them from most auto parts places. Putting the new bearings back on didn't pose any particular problems; I just used a socket (a piece of pipe will also work) the same diameter as the inner bearing race and tapped the bearings on. Make sure you don't bang on the bearing shields or seals. You can set them on top of a 100 watt light bulb for ten or fifteen minutes to heat them up some to make it a little easier.

A Powermatic 60 is an 8" jointer, at least every one I have seen is. I have put Byrd heads in two of them. It's dead simple and takes about an hour if there are no problems like a wallowed out pulley or something like that. No special shims or anything else was needed. However, you need to measure your cutting head because Powermatic used two different sizes over the years, one with a 3/4" shaft and one with a 5/8" shaft, I believe, and you need to order the correct one. Bearings are common and can probably be found at NAPA.

Be VERY careful handling the Byrd heads. Wear gloves, or better yet, wrap the heads in cardboard or a lot of rags. It's very easy to get cut by one of the carbide cutters, and it's also easy to chip or break one by bumping it against something.