Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multi Ladders: Little Giant vs Werner

I have a Little Giant 12' and it's great--very stable. I don't like heights, but the Little Giant makes it a bit easier to get stuff done. I had a Werner (the one that could be an extension or step ladder)--more flexible, but heavier and not as stable. Either is heavier than a purpose-built step or extension ladder.
    Last edited by Evan Patton; 08-25-2014 at 1:51 AM.

I have a Werner - but - it's the old style one.
    Very cranky to use. Nowhere near as easy as a LG.

The newer ones are more like the LG and the Gorilla.

Since I bought a Gorilla, the Werner has been at my brother in laws on a semi permanent loan. By that I mean I'd rather he kept it at his place than try tofind a place to store it here.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Own both, no complaints with either. Keeping the joints on the LG lubed does help.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

4. Warner seems to accept LG accessories, do not know about all of the accessories- 12 inch platform/step works well. My Warner does everything that I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I'll tell you this, because of the way they're constructed, they're all heavy. I believe my 17' specs out at 35 lbs, which may not seem like much, but it's heavy for that length of ladder. I have a fellow contractor who has the 22', and I find it to be much heavier (I think it's over 50 lbs) and more cumbersome.
    The part about LG being heavy is completely true. We needed a good ladder with a tall reach and decided on a LG 22. That thing is a beast. It is way more effort to maneuver a 50 lb ladder than it is to throw a 50 lb sack of grain over your shoulder. LG is solid and has never let us down, however I would probably have selected a smaller model if I had realized how hard it is to move around.

Steve

6. I have had the 26' LG ladder for about 20 years. Incredibly stable once you get it in place, but it is an absolute beast to move, especially as I am getting older. A lot of things were easier 20 years ago!

I own a 17' Werner, my buddy owns the LG. I've used both extensively. I don't see any major differences in durability and ease of use.
    -Lud

I needed a multi ladder for work and noticed that Costco sold a Little Giant 17' Mega-Lite. When I could not find any model info on the LG website I called them. The customer service rep said Costco wanted to sell a lighter ladder than traditional LG 17' model. Since Costco buys truckloads at a time LG was happy to oblige. Besides being quite a few pounds lighter, I think 8 or 9, it is rated for 300 pound working load and sells at Costco for about only $160. I have used it extensively and have no regrets. While the OP was looking for a 22 footer this may help someone looking for a shorter model.

I've had the LG 17' for about 5 years now and it's my go-to ladder. Haven't tried the Werner version but did have a Werner regular 6' ladder. which I donated after getting the LG. The LG is super stable and my wife has no fears when using it for painting, couldn't say that about the standard ladders. I also have the leg-leveler and it's very useful for uneven surfaces and the stand-off attachment when used in full-extension mode. I guess it is heavier but the stability and durability are worth it and it has wheel to roll it if needed.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Pick up both before you get the Werner. I have one and didn't get the LG due to cost. Every time I move the Werner, I wish I had a LG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Ferguson View Post
    The Werner is heavier than the Little Giant. I have the Werner 18' model. In a-frame mode it is super stable. In extension ladder mode, I find it almost a little too wobbly to use. It flexes a lot due to it being hinged.
    I have the same Werner and agree completely; if you are at the top when in extension mode, it really flexes. I also have issues with a couple of the hinge locks being difficult. They are a bit better if lubed up, but when the ladder gets left in the rain etc they can be a pain.

On the topic of ladders, after a small incident we upgraded our stepladders to the Werner Type IAA 375 lb models; now those make all the difference in the world vs the step ladders sold in the BORGs. They are so much more secure and rigid it almost feels criminal for folks to sell the flimsy aluminum ones.