Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Ladders: Little Giant vs Werner

Multi Ladders: Little Giant vs Werner

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my several ladders with a 22' multi ladder. Little Giant and Werner have similar models, with Little Giant's costing $100 more.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations using these two brands?

Thanks!!!

Here's my take on them, but it's based on what they looked like several years ago--the models may have changed in that time. I have had a 17' Little Giant for about 10 years. I got it over the other brands for one reason: the steps are TIG-welded to the uprights instead of crimped and riveted, which was how the Werner and others were constructed at the time. After I got my LG, I noticed that whatever brand was at Home Depot at the time (Gorilla or something like that) also had welded steps (usually there's a plastic cover over the end of the step that you would have to pry back slightly to see the weld--I've lost 3-4 of those plastic caps off my ladder using it as a contractor, it's mainly an aesthetic problem).

I'll tell you this, because of the way they're constructed, they're all heavy. I believe my 17' specs out at 35 lbs, which may not seem like much, but it's heavy for that length of ladder. I have a fellow contractor who has the 22', and I find it to be much heavier (I think it's over 50 lbs) and more cumbersome.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I've got the Gorrilla which like Jason said is HEAVY. I would not want to haul this out every time I needed a ladder to change a light bulb. However for my old 12' shop ceilings it was better than buying a 10' step ladder and worked to reach the roof of a 1 story house. I'll probably keep it for here since we have a 2-story foyer with a large light that will need cleaning and maintenance and a 2nd floor window. Over the years my fear of roofs has gotten worse and worse so I plan not to use it for that part.

For light jobs around the house, those little 4' ladders are great. Super light, easy to store, easy to carry, and don't require as much room to set up. Ours needs to get dug out of the storage unit ASAP.

Like they say, they are heavy. Only reason to own on is to minimize storage space.
    That said, the Little Giant is probably worth the extra money over the Werner; it is simply better made. My Werner was obnoxious to use.

Be sure to check out the Craigslist listings in your area. I see them almost daily here selling cheap.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I bought 2 Werner's on Craigslist for about 1/2 price. They have done everything I need them for and seem to be sturdy. The people I bought them from were installed siding and were selling them to buy Little Giants because they said they were lighter and some of the older people working with them (I believe it was a family business) found the Werners too heavy to move. I've not used both so have no real experience on the differences.

Like Jason, I looked at them years ago and went with 17' Little Giant for the reasons he cites. I "exceed" the weight limit of the LG, but it has not complained one bit, even fully extended. At the time I took a look at the Werner's at the BORG and thought there's no way its gonna last.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I bought a 22' werner on sale on amazon a few years back to do my garage rebuild, proved to be invaluable. I didn't have the money for the little giant. I have several much bigger extension ladders but needed something flexible in the in between ranges. Ive used little giants on various jobs over the years, they are easier to adjust and manipulate than the Werner, just a smoother mechanism. Other than that pretty much the same experience from my perspective. I go up, I go down. They are all heavy.. I really like the offset feature, they make a decent light weight scaffold, very versatile. If money were no object I'd probably go little giant, in my case it was budget first function second.

Blog Entries
    I have a Little Giant ladder and it is quite nice to use as compared with my older aluminum ladder which is much more flexible though lighter in weight. I had a ladder kick out from under me a few years ago and now using one is a bit of a challenge, but the Little Giant is stable and doesn't flex much even at full extension. I really like the adjustability on the Little Giant. Mine has wheels that make it easier to move around when folded. The wider bas section and top section when extended make it stable against the house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks! Always helpful to hear experienced voices!

I have several ladders. I have a Werner step ladder. I have a typical Werner extension ladder. I have a 22' Little Giant.

I am in the process of painting my house. I have balance issues so my neighbor, a professional painting contractor, painted the high stuff and I am painting the low stuff. I am using my Werner step ladder and my Little Giant 22' extension ladder in the "A-frame" mode for the higher stuff I am painting.

My neighbor on the other hand preferred to bring his lighter Werner ladders over to paint the really high stuff.

I like the strength of the LG and it's wider base. I haven't used my Werner extension ladder since I bought my LG because of the wider base.

It's really a subjective matter!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-24-2014 at 9:43 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I can chime in, I have had the little giant for about 10 years.I have no hands on with the Werner. I love mine, it is great for uneven surfaces, easy to setup and feels very secure. I used mine to get over block walls by having one side extended more than the other. I carry mine by sticking my arm through the rungs and grab the next rung down, works for me. I was installing Satellite dish's at the time and it worked great for every job, seems something was always uneven.

They are always at Home shows and do give big discounts.

I have both a Little Giant, and a cheaper same size, both are 17', and both work very well. Had a snap ring come off the cheap model, took it apart and put the snap ring back and it has been ok since. Reason I bought the LG in the first place was I had a wooden step ladder, and one leg cracked, didn't notice it till it let me down, and I hit my elbow on the driveway. Couldn't use my right arm for 6 weeks, and had to finish the house I was working on anyway. Found I could do trim work left handed. Went to a show soon after, and bought the LG and found it very handy. Was at a store later that had the other ladder on sale, the hinges looked the same, so bought it and it is almost as good as the LG. Just as heavy and awkward to move around. But it didn't come with the platform that doubles as a shelf to put your paint bucket on.

The Werner is heavier than the Little Giant. I have the Werner 18' model. In a-frame mode it is super stable. In extension ladder mode, I find it almost a little too wobbly to use. It flexes a lot due to it being hinged.

Lil Giants are good for one think , stairwell work, other than that they are to heavy , and to dangerous to use. They're tippy and hard to operate , and there heavy clumsy to set up, clumsy to carry. etc.

And expensive , buy two good ladders , Werner Fiberglass , rated for 320lbs and you'll be ahead of the game. A extension ladder good for 24' and a 6' or 8' ladder depending on your homes ceiling heights.