Thread: Woodworking in Burma (Myanmar)

Woodworking in Burma (Myanmar)

I have put some pictures on my blog about all the woodworking related stuff I've seen in Burma during our holliday.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-24-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Have some Mohinga for me.

Jou zuigen

I'd be interested to know the purpose of those chests in the monasteries, if anyone knows?

Wonderful! As you mention in the blog post this is a rare chance to see something unique before it changes. I'm assuming the pit saw was a hangover from the British era?

Thanks for putting those up ! Good stuff !

I bet the router guy stopped using the router when you drove up and started hand mortising for the photos. Hoping you would buy some hand made stuff. Probably figured tourists don't know what a router is anyway.

The wood is decaying, despite it being teak, and I think a restoration is being proposed.
    Yah looks like every body is behind the proposed bridge restoration except that one guy.
    I bet he was mumbling : "Not with a MY tax money you don't ! Bloody liberals ! I don't need no Public Transportation ! I can get across this little puddle just fine all on my own ! Why don't they act "NORMAL" like Weeee are . . . er . . . I mean . . . like I am . . . and just walk across ?" "Taxes are too high as it is without adding more !" "Big government ! THAT'S what's wrong with this country !"

"Blub, blub, gurgle, choke, blub blub . . ."

Sorry couldn't help it.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'd be interested to know the purpose of those chests in the monasteries, if anyone knows?
    I believe they were used to hold old manuscripts and chanting scripts. My experience is in Northern Thailand just across the border. The reverence in which ancient scripts were held carries over to modern books and contributes to the modern Asian penchant for education. Most of the older Buddhist literature would have been in the Burmese script adapted from Sanskrit, as was the Thai written language.

Thanks, Kees, for sharing these photos. Burma has been stuck in time for several decades and is about to undergo a lot of change to catch up to the rest of Southeast Asia. Glad you got to see this while it's still there.
    Last edited by Randy Reitz; 08-24-2014 at 8:22 PM.
    ‎"A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." —G. K. Chesterton

Thanks randy for the information.

When we were in Bagan (the area full of 11th - 13th century temples and pagodas, awesome place too), there was some kind of festivity in town. The monks were reading some religous book, through blearing loudspeakers, day and night for several days. Luckily I am a healthy sleeper, so it didn't disturb me. It is very important for them.

Winton, you could be right about the guy using the router. But he wasn't selling anything, he was just making some new chairs and tables for the restaurant we were visiting. And he looked very surprised when I took pictures from his work.

Gentlemen,

You cannot link to Blogs other than ours. Blogs are considered the same as Forums and our TOS prohibits links to either.

Woodworking, schmoodworking.

Burma has some of the best native cuisine in the World.
    Why are we prattling about sawdust and sticks?

More about the food, man.... spill, already!

http://migrationology.com/2011/05/bu...bite-of-burma/
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 08-25-2014 at 7:36 AM.

Well, honestly, I am not so sure about the food. I like Vietnamese and Thai food much more. It wasn't bad of course, and they present it in a very nice manner. You order a couple of curries and get a few small bowls of meat in a very oily sauce. But then the rest of the table is filled with all kinds of vegetable curries, dipsauces, some raw vegetables, soup and a lot of rice of course. It's very cheap and tastes nicely. You do start to huncker after a few potatoes and real bread after a while though.

Keith, sorry I didn't know about that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Keith, sorry I didn't know about that rule.
    Fortunately, your name is pretty distinctive. I found your blog with only a couple of clicks. The next time you want to post a link to your blog, you can suggest that readers use that method.

Or you can get SMC to post your blog address. Go to the Settings page, and find Edit. There you can enter your home page. Thereafter, when SMC readers click on your name on a post, they can get to your blog address. I know, it seems a bit arcane, but it does work.