Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CE Jennings socket chisels

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

I can't imagine that it's that important if it's $200 or $400 unless you are just posting to argue.
    I thought I was allowed to post my own opinion even if it didn't agree with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    I thought I was allowed to post my own opinion even if it didn't agree with yours.
    Sure, but if you're going to refer to something (like ebay listings) there ought to actually be something there that describes what you're talking about. There isn't. Just a set that sold for something south of $1200, is a bigger set and has a newish box. Meekers has a 12 chisel set of the firmers that sold for $600. The rest of the jennings stuff on ebay is junk and isn't relevant for a comparison to a matched set. Anything else similar as a set on ebay is in the $300 range. I'll exclude bergs because there are some fanatical collectors of them, but even a set of buck butt chisels that are well used are over $300.

Guys, the problem is that the flea market is only open on Sundays and I do not have his name/number.

I'm also now down in southern WVa preparing for a funeral of an old family member. All I can do now is wait around until next Sunday and hope for the best. At the end of the day it's not like I don't already have a more than adequate collection of good chisels!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

What's in southern WVA, Beckley? If so, strong accents down there!! Sorry to hear that you had to go to a funeral.

I'm in the countryside just a few miles removed from Lewisburg. It was voted "the coolest small town in America" a couple years ago. Beautiful country, definitely not the typical WVa desolate coal mining town as depicted in the popular media.
    Best regards,

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    We'll see if and when we get a look at them. There's very little sold (match chisels in a set of 8, firmers) on ebay in the last several months to compare them to. One set of 12 jennings firmers in a box that sold for some large unknown amount (on an ask of $1200).

I can't imagine that it's that important if it's $200 or $400 unless you are just posting to argue.
    I returned to that particular flea market this morning and the guy was there. He had not brought the chisels but said he still had them at home. I put down a deposit and will pick them up either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm heading off on a business trip to the West Coast so I may not have time to put up photos before I leave. I got them for the agreed upon price of $100.
    Best regards,

Ron

Hey,Mel,do you still think I should not post my work unless it's recent? It isn't relevant unless it is recent? I did not catch your reasoning there.

My latest work yesterday was turning out a brass light socket to fit the burned out old chandelier in our hallway. In case anyone needs to know,a light bulb thread is called a knuckle thread,and is 7 threads per inch. I don't think anyone would want to see a picture of that,though. At least,it made my wife(who has 100 year old chandeliers in several places) happy.

Blog Entries
    At least,it made my wife(who has 100 year old chandeliers in several places) happy.
    It is wonderful how some of the handy work we can do amazes our wives and makes them decide to keep us.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    I returned to that particular flea market this morning and the guy was there. He had not brought the chisels but said he still had them at home. I put down a deposit and will pick them up either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm heading off on a business trip to the West Coast so I may not have time to put up photos before I leave. I got them for the agreed upon price of $100.
    I'm interested in seeing them when you get back. I can't imagine you have much exposure at $100 unless they turn out to be something completely different than what we're expecting. I'm glad you found them and not me, or I'd have another set of chisels that I don't need.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you found them and not me, or I'd have another set of chisels that I don't need.
    For me it would include some pants with worn knees from begging my wife to let me get them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Here you go! I picked them up this morning at the agreed upon price of $100 Canadian. One chisel has a small crack in the handle which is repairable. I checked the backs and they are all either flat of very slightly concave. I'm a happy camper! It will be interesting to see how much work is required to flatten the backs and get them sharpened up!

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg
    Best regards,

Ron

Blog Entries
    Looks like a nice set, when you have the time could you post the sizes?

Looks like the small one may be an eighth inch.

jtk

They are a little later in manufacture than many I've seen, but I'd have picked them up for $100 without hesitation ($12.50 per chisel is really spectacular, actually, and they're matched with the wide and narrow chisel capping the end of the set).

The fact that they have some rust is good (chisels from that era that don't rust are bad news).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-29-2014 at 3:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks like a nice set, when you have the time could you post the sizes?

Looks like the small one may be an eighth inch.

jtk
    Jim,

1/8, 1/4,1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1 1/4, 1 1/2. It looks like this may well have been a 10-piece set that is now missing the 3/8 and 1" chisels. The 1/8" is very thick vertically, almost like a pigsticker. The 1/4" is also a bit thicker vertically than most of this vintage but not to the extent of the 1/8".
    Best regards,

Ron

Way to score, Ron! Looks like a really nice set, for an excellent price. These are 12-13" long, from the looks of them? For comparison, I bought a set of (only) 4 Greenlees (1/4-1") for about $100 on ebay a while back