Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House Full O Cabinets

Thanks guys. We're sanding out any rough spots and a few (way more than I should have) runs. Second (and last) coat gets applied Saturday or Sunday. Then, walls will get rolled, cabinet doors (33) and drawer fronts (30) will get fit and painted, drawer boxes (28) are getting ordered tomorrow, granite counters will go in, tile and vinyl floors will go down, wet areas walls will get tiled, electric will get hooked up, attic will get insulated and appliances will go in and original red oak floors will get refinished. It's been a long road. Still lots to do. 2 months. (yeah right).

Wow. That's a quite a progress. Looking great.

Well, this project is coming to a close. I'm supposed to be done with it by end of day 8/18. This weekend, I sprayed the first coat of white oil based paint onto 19 pieces of 16' base board, 23 drawer fronts and ~30 cabinet doors. Had to make a couple drying racks since there were so many pieces.

The floors are in the middle of getting refinished. Lots of little detail items to complete yet. I'll have a slew of pictures in the next week.

SafariScreenSnapz006.jpg

Oooh...very nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Just great Todd. Truly inspiring.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks guys. Baseboards and drawer fronts now have two coats and are done. Cabinet doors still need one more coat.

DSC_8549.jpg DSC_8553.jpg

Refinishing of floors was completed yesterday. Thursday they will be dry enough to walk on. Appliance install happens Friday. Trim guys show up Friday to install baseboards. Painter will complete exterior touch ups on Thursday/Friday. I'll be installing drawer fronts and cabinet doors on Thursday/Friday.

Still have to make a trash pullout, and complete the pull out cutting board. Varnished oak still needs waxing, and I have to make some trim to transition the living room built-in countertop to the wall behind it. And, I still have to get some quarter round to go under the kitchen toe kicks to apply where the VCT meets the kick panels.

And probably 50 other piddly things. I'll be glad when this is done.

Todd, your work has always been outstanding and it's no less so when you do it for yourself. You will have some real sweat and skill equity in that house when you are done.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Looking good Todd. I can really relate. I wish we could have done most everything before we moved in.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Well, the house is "almost" done. It really needs a couple more long days of detail work to complete a handful if lingering items. Trim guy forgot cut and nail a piece of the baseboard I made and painted between the master bedroom closet doors, shower rod needs hanging, and I still have 3 cabinet doors to hang (butt hinges), and the paint was still too wet to handle them yesterday. I'll get most of the items nailed down tonight between 8:30PM and whenever I finish. Thanks for looking.

Living Room built-in. (still needs a piece of trim between counter and wall)

IMG_1937.jpg

Other end of living room and front door.

IMG_1938.jpg

Kitchen (need to hang cookie-sheet cabinet door)

IMG_1934.jpg

Kitchen, showing original pantry door (that still needs its handset)

IMG_1935.jpg

Bathroom sink cabinet

IMG_1930.jpg

Bathroom vanity knee space (still needs trim between cabinet back and wall)

IMG_1931.jpg

Master Bedroom (needs baseboard between closet doors)

IMG_1939.jpg

Guest bedroom. (Actually, this room is pretty much done! However, when I took this picture, and the master bedroom picture, I had not yet waxed the oak built-ins.)

IMG_1940.jpg

Here are the built-ins with wax. Big difference. Only took 3 hours to wax both of them.

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

I'll get a few more pictures tonight. (Outside of house, cutting board, trash pullout more bathroom cabinets…)

Thanks, Todd

For some perspective, here are some pictures, similar angles as best I could, of what the house looked like when I bought it.

Living Room. Space was taken from a garage cabinet and the too-deep pantry to make the space for the built-in.

IMG_0539.jpg

We opened the wall between the dining and the kitchen

IMG_0540.jpg

Original kitchen cabinetry. Site built in 1960.

IMG_0757.jpg

Original bathroom. It was a 2' wide tunnel inside the bathroom to get to the sink, toilet and tub. The tunnel was created by both the guest bedroom (right side) and master bedroom (left) closets. I relocated the closets and created a ton of storage, a make-up knee space, and a much wider sink base.

IMG_0537.jpg

A shot of the guest bedroom wall. You can see the original closet opening, taking up bathroom space.

IMG_0572.jpg

Another guest bedroom view. It used to have an exterior door going to the front porch (on the left). I took 3' deep x 9' wide and made a 6' wide closet (used to have a 4' wide closet) and made a 3' wide entry closet where there was none before.

IMG_0574.jpg

The pantry door in the kitchen. The original pantry was very narrow and deep. I made it about 2' deep, and created more cabinets along the left wall.

IMG_0759.jpg
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 08-18-2015 at 11:29 AM.

That really looks wonderful, Todd! I love the door and trim designs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim!

Awesome work, Todd! Especially the built-ins. That out to add considerably to the value of your place. Was this a flipper project, or are you living in it? If it's going on the market, then hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it awhile before saying goodbye. If it's the latter, then all that's needed is to get the furniture back in place and rehang the "Home Sweet Home" sign

Mike, we bought it, as a foreclosure, with the intention of remodeling and moving into it. About 8 months into it, our plans changed and we bought another house. So, we are selling this house (supposed to close next Monday) to my dad. We're getting a pretty good price (satisfactory for us), but I feel if we had listed it, we could have gotten multiple offers and more than we listed it for. It's really first class. Nicest house on the street, for sure. And a good part of town.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 08-19-2015 at 10:50 PM.