Thread: New Jointer and Planer will Just Have to Wait....And Question

New Jointer and Planer will Just Have to Wait....And Question

Well, for those of you that followed my CL find on the jointer and planer a month or so ago, know how that turned out.....not so good.

So - I work some OT, sell a few things on CL, and get enough money together to go to the Muncy, PA Tent Sale for Grizzly.

I figure, I'll find something at the tent Sale - and if not, I'll just go to the showroom and get new ones.

I call just to see what they might have to offer at the tent sale - and I find out they are out of stock on ALL 8" jointers and 15" planers.

All backordered until October.

Anyways - when they ARE IN STOCK - is it worth paying the extra money for the helical cutters from Grizzly - or get the standard cutters, and by aftermarket Byrd helical cutters?

THX

Justin I have the Grizzly cutter head that I added to my G0586. It took me by surprise the extra pressure required to feed the wood but that was the only down side. The cutters work great and stay sharp a lot longer. Get the machine with it installed already!

I recently moved from an 8" Grizzly straight blade jointer and 13.5" Delta planer to helical cutter head equipped Grizzly 8" jointer and 15" planer. Very satisfied with both, though I still need to do some minor adjustments to the planer for slightly better results.

The noise reduction is unbelievable - no need for hearing protection now but was really required with the straight-blade cutters.

Being able to change one small cutter instead of the whole blade is a big plus as well - I never touched the blades on my old jointer as I was worried about getting them re-installed correctly. Now it's just one screw and a 90-degree rotation and I'm back in business.

Bottom line: helical cutter heads are definitely worth the price.

Blog Entries
    The helical cutters are cheaper in the long run. My jointer and planer spiral heads have both paid for themselves in savings on sharpenings and replacements. Its been all gravy for years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Actually I think the Grizzly helical heads work better, especially on the jointer, as the Byrd is angled and you lose a little on the width of your cut, and the ability to do rabbet joints on your jointer. The Grizzly cutters are square to the cut, and you should still be able to do rabbets. I have the Byrd on my jointer, and the Grizzly standard helical on my 15" planer, and can't tell the difference on the quality of the cut.

I'm opposite to Jim - I have the Grizz helical on my G0586 jointer and a Byrd in my planer (DW735). But like him, I don't notice any difference in the quality of the cut.

I have a Grizzly jointer with the helical cutters. When my lunch box planer goes, I will go for a bigger planer with helical heads.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If going to buy both tools from grizzly not think would matter what way ya go with the helical head. I was ordering new planer in june and when ordering grizzly told me was month back order on the helical head 20" Planer so ordered straight knife and changed out the cuter head. went with byrd head basically because down the road if change out my cresent jointer with helical head both tools will have same inserts. least home that is the case.