Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10-22 questions...

Blog Entries
    Just for discussion...... I haven't done any 22 target shooting in a couple of years, but when I was target shooting, I had much better accuracy with solid points than hollow points.

What about you guys?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

It's funny, in Canada we hear about the .22 shortage in the U.S. but I have not seen any shortage in Canada, and it all comes from the U.S ! For the last decade, I could walk into any Walmart or gun shop and buy any amount I wanted. As for rifles, the best general tack driver I have ever owned is my old semi auto Nylon 66 (Apache black model). The only .22 I have ever owned that was more accurate was a Anshutz 190 single shot target rifle.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    It's funny, in Canada we hear about the .22 shortage in the U.S. but I have not seen any shortage in Canada, and it all comes from the U.S ! For the last decade, I could walk into any Walmart or gun shop and buy any amount I wanted. As for rifles, the best general tack driver I have ever owned is my old semi auto Nylon 66 (Apache black model). The only .22 I have ever owned that was more accurate was a Anshutz 190 single shot target rifle.
    Nylon 66, I've wanted one of those for 30 years now. Prices just keep going up!

Anshutz is ackowledged as one of the Worlds top target rifle. In my Izaak Walton organization we have a member who competes on the National Level and uses an Anshutz. He told me after he shot his once, after that every thing else was crap. But you pay plenty for one of those puppies. As for the .22LR supply, it's better now than a year or two ago. Still not great, and the prices have gone down some, but we're paying more than we did before the supply shortage. I haven't seen a brick of 22LR in my local store in years. Usually, the most I can get is about 100 rounds at a time. Occassionally, I can buy a couple hundred rounds of some brand I'm not familiar with that comes in. Cabelas and other stores like that carry sales on 22LR, but I haven't seen them sell bricks of it. I have seen bricks of 22LR at Gun Shows that wasn't terribly expensive, but wasn't what I would call cheap. My wife was attending a family affair in Montana, where they got into the topic of buying ammunition. Somebody mentioned they knew someone who bought ammo by the pallet. She didn't follow up on that. I wish she did.

I have an old Marlin/Glenfield M60 that's way more accurate than it has a right to be.

I also have a very pretty Browning BLR Grade II that's little more than a wall hanger or safe queen - It's a lot of things, but, accurate isn't one of those things.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My father in-law has the take down version of the 10/22. I shot it a few times and it seems to be as accurate as my stainless 10/22 was out of the box. I've since done a few things and added a scope to my gun so I prefer my 10/22 now. If you prefer the take down version for storage or traveling, it is a decent gun for that.

Can't really go wrong with a Ruger!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I have an old Marlin/Glenfield M60 that's way more accurate than it has a right to be.
    I remember when I bought my Glenfield 60 from Kmart for $45. It's proved plenty accurate for plinking and some rabbit hunting. The only thing I dislike about it is loading/unloading the tubular magazine. The Ruger 10-22 magazine is way better in that regard. When I shoot I normally take a bolt action Marlin I bought at a garage sale.

Chuck, I have a friend that has the takedown 10-22, he's happy with it. Not sure what degree of precision would satisfy you.

-Tom

The take down Ruger 10/22 is ironically the best shooting 10/22 I've ever shot. The 10/22 is basically the small block Chevy of .22's, there's a endless line of accuracy improvement accessories you can retrofit, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Ammo plays a huge role in accuracy, while ammo is a bit scarce right now, keep trying different product and documenting results to find the sweet spot in ammo for your Ruger. Typically my interests run towards bench rest .22 RF rifles such as Anschutz, Cooper or BRNO, If you make the 1/4" club at 50yds, you're home.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    This post is a question about the Ruger 10-22, mods please delete if the post is not appropriate. Anyways, I was just wondering if someone knows if the "takedown" 10-22 model is inherently less accurate than the standard "carbine" model. Or if there is no difference.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 09-01-2014 at 5:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    I remember when I bought my Glenfield 60 from Kmart for $45. It's proved plenty accurate for plinking and some rabbit hunting. The only thing I dislike about it is loading/unloading the tubular magazine. The Ruger 10-22 magazine is way better in that regard. When I shoot I normally take a bolt action Marlin I bought at a garage sale.

Chuck, I have a friend that has the takedown 10-22, he's happy with it. Not sure what degree of precision would satisfy you.

-Tom
    tom, i guess my concern was the repeatability of the accuracy after the rifle was taken apart and put together a number of times. But my logic tells me that ruger would not put a rifle on the market that would become inaccurate with use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    The take down Ruger 10/22 is ironically the best shooting 10/22 I've ever shot. The 10/22 is basically the small block Chevy of .22's, there's a endless line of accuracy improvement accessories you can retrofit, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Ammo plays a huge role in accuracy, while ammo is a bit scarce right now, keep trying different product and documenting results to find the sweet spot in ammo for your Ruger. Typically my interests run towards bench rest .22 RF rifles such as Anschutz, Cooper or BRNO, If you make the 1/4" club at 50yds, you're home.
    Mac
    Thanks for the info.

Have you looked at the 50th anniversary model? One of the reasons my son put a HOLD on his idea of getting a Take-Down, is he took a look at the 50th. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Have you looked at the 50th anniversary model? One of the reasons my son put a HOLD on his idea of getting a Take-Down, is he took a look at the 50th. Sweet!
    i think he is now looking at the standard carbine version with a wood stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Anshutz is ackowledged as one of the Worlds top target rifle. In my Izaak Walton organization we have a member who competes on the National Level and uses an Anshutz. He told me after he shot his once, after that every thing else was crap. But you pay plenty for one of those puppies. As for the .22LR supply, it's better now than a year or two ago. Still not great, and the prices have gone down some, but we're paying more than we did before the supply shortage. I haven't seen a brick of 22LR in my local store in years
    That's the strange part. I have never had any trouble buying bricks of LRs Stingers,Thunderbolts, even the 550 packs of Winchester hollowpoint cheap shots. And they all come from the U.S.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Nylon 66, I've wanted one of those for 30 years now. Prices just keep going up!
    50 years ago I used to drool over them at the local hardware store. They used to cost $66.00 in Canada at that time. This particular rifle was given to me by my daughters father in law when the Liberals up here passed the firearms registration and licensing laws (now being radically changed by conservatives). He didn't want to get involved with that so he just gave me the rifle, and I love it. This rifle hits everything you put the front sight on.

Hi Chuck,

I'm an instructor with Project Appleseed and have read a lot on the performance of the 10/22 take-down from other instructors that have them. If every thing is within spec on it it is as accurate as a standard 10/22. One thing that need attention if accuracy drops off is the nut used to attach the barrel. There have been some bad barrels that Ruger has replaced under warranty.

If you want indepth feed back on the check out Rimfire Central. It is a well moderated and friendly place like the Creek.
    Last edited by Charles McKinley; 09-08-2014 at 7:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery