Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening stone or?

Blog Entries

Sharpening stone or?

Hi all, I have an oil stone to sharpen chisels and plane blades but was wondering if there is a better way. Oil stone seems to get clogged and dirty so fast. Thanks, Sean

oooh...you need to check out the Neander side of the forum. This question is something that comes up often (to say the least).

WARNING: Be ready for a LOT of differing opinions.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    oooh...you need to check out the Neander side of the forum. This question is something that comes up often (to say the least).

WARNING: Be ready for a LOT of differing opinions.
    Will do, thanks

Yup, lots of opinions.

I use Arkansas stones and I wash them in warm soapy water at the end of a session. Been doing that for 30 years and never had a problem with clogging.

I've recently acquired a set of water stones for sharpening kitchen knives and some day I'll give them a try for the woodworking tools. But I don't have a sink in the workshop, so keeping the bench dry is gonna be a challenge.

Blog Entries
    Check out the thread about ceramic stones, but beware of the rabbit hole.

Sean, what does the stone look like? A novaculite stone (a natural oilstone) should never load if it is used with oil or any other appropriate fluid. Some of the synthetic stones will load, though.

If you have a picture, that would focus the discussion somewhat.

A brief warning about the conduct in this forum, though. I'll liken how sharpening questions go with a clothing analogy:

you: I bought this shirt today, I don't think it fits quite right, what do you think?

Response #1 from forum members: you can get by with it
    " #2 - the shoes are wrong
    " #3 - I would never wear those shoes, that shirt, or that belt that you're wearing in public....and your shirt sucks, too
    " #4 - I went to work for 40 years as a professional and never worried about what #2 or #3 said, it didn't affect me
    " #5 - I'm pretty sure the tanning process in your belt wasn't done properly
    " #6 - poster #3 is a jerk (followed by an exchange between 6 and 3 that gets a thread temporarily locked, and draws in dogpilers from several other forums - and then a blogger or two tells the world they're unhappy with SMC)
    " #7 - (thread is unlocked) post accusing everyone being a jerk after moderators warn. A couple of member show pictures of a bunch of tools that are completely unrelated to a thread. One more jerk post... (thread is permanently locked)

And you go back to sharpening with your stone.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-25-2014 at 5:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Sean, what does the stone look like? A novaculite stone (a natural oilstone) should never load if it is used with oil or any other appropriate fluid. Some of the synthetic stones will load, though.

If you have a picture, that would focus the discussion somewhat.
    What I have is a cheap oil stone I don't even know what it's made from. I need to find out what I should get so I can hone and put a good edge on my chisels and plane blades. I realize this may open a can of worms....

Well, if you have an india/carborundum stone that's coarse, we'll be able to tell you pretty much whether or not it has the potential to do anything productive. It probably costs about 50 bucks to be able to put a decent edge on something, but it can do it on everything in your house (scissors, kitchen knives, etc). I gather by your picture that you're a turner - you might find use for some hand honing on your tools, especially the skew.

Blog Entries
    Well, if you have an india/carborundum stone that's coarse, we'll be able to tell you pretty much whether or not it has the potential to do anything productive. It probably costs about 50 bucks to be able to put a decent edge on something, but it can do it on everything in your house (scissors, kitchen knives, etc). I gather by your picture that you're a turner - you might find use for some hand honing on your tools, especially the skew.
    Turning days are pretty much behind me now. I've been doing flat work mostly and I'm trying to learn a bit more with planes and chisels. Money is kind of an object so a reasonable price to get me going with sharpening is what I'm looking for. What are we looking at in the 50.00 range? thanks, Sean

A decent 1000 grit stone and some loose 1 micron diamonds. Might be a hair over 50 bucks, but it would be sharp and fast.

Presume you already have a grinder from turning?

Blog Entries
    A decent 1000 grit stone and some loose 1 micron diamonds. Might be a hair over 50 bucks, but it would be sharp and fast.

Presume you already have a grinder from turning?
    Yes, I have a grinder with good wheels. Any brand stone in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Yes, I have a grinder with good wheels. Any brand stone in particular?
    It ultimately doesn't matter if the point is just sharpness. Shapton pro 1000 (no soak), bester 1200 (soak), ezelap 8x3 600 (dry-diamonds).

Used to be you could get a king 800 for 20 bucks. Not a great stone, but does do its job. Somehow, that ended.

Blog Entries
    It ultimately doesn't matter if the point is just sharpness. Shapton pro 1000 (no soak), bester 1200 (soak), ezelap 8x3 600 (dry-diamonds).

Used to be you could get a king 800 for 20 bucks. Not a great stone, but does do its job. Somehow, that ended.
    Thanks David, I appreciate the help, Sean

If your stone has been hanging around for awhile it may just need a good cleaning to get it back to snuff. Hot soapy water like Dave Cullen says works well, esp with soak and scrub and changing water.

Also using paint thinner (mineral spirits or eco version) also works Again with soak, scrub and change.

Then a soak overnight to fill the pores with a thin oil.

Then just a few drops when you use it followed by a wiping with a clean cloth.

The oil is lubricating, it is filling the pores so the metal doesn't clog and limit the stone from presenting new abrasive.

Oilstones have worked well for centuries, there is new (and different) tech but then people still ride bicycles ( or walk). If a cleaning doesn't get your stone working, then you could start looking at $ for something different. Your stone MAY be coarser than optimum for extra sharp, but that's another issue to resolve after getting as good an edge as your current stone provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Hi all, I have an oil stone to sharpen chisels and plane blades but was wondering if there is a better way. Oil stone seems to get clogged and dirty so fast. Thanks, Sean