Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening stone or?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Hi all, I have an oil stone to sharpen chisels and plane blades but was wondering if there is a better way. Oil stone seems to get clogged and dirty so fast. Thanks, Sean
    David already has asked about the stone. It would be good to have an image.

My next question would be what kind of oil are you using on the stone?

I bought a 3 oil stone set from Woodcraft about 10 years ago in the $40 range. It isn't the greatest, but sometimes I still use it.

You will likely get many responses to this question. Everyone seems to love spending other folks money.

I picked up an India stone at a flea market for a buck and it does pretty well for the price. It sometimes surprises me how fast it can put a good edge on a turning tool. For my plane irons a couple of hunks of novaculite I picked up for $1 each at a rock & mineral show work fine when oil sharpening is in season in my unheated shop.

Just recently bought a fine trans Ark slip stone from Dan's Whetstones. It wasn't cheap, but to me it is well worth the cost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    David already has asked about the stone. It would be good to have an image.

My next question would be what kind of oil are you using on the stone?

I bought a 3 oil stone set from Woodcraft about 10 years ago in the $40 range. It isn't the greatest, but sometimes I still use it.

You will likely get many responses to this question. Everyone seems to love spending other folks money.

I picked up an India stone at a flea market for a buck and it does pretty well for the price. It sometimes surprises me how fast it can put a good edge on a turning tool. For my plane irons a couple of hunks of novaculite I picked up for $1 each at a rock & mineral show work fine when oil sharpening is in season in my unheated shop.

Just recently bought a fine trans Ark slip stone from Dan's Whetstones. It wasn't cheap, but to me it is well worth the cost.

jtk
    The stone came with oil, and guide. Marples brand, I believe it was something like 14.00. At that price, you can see the quality most likely isn't there for a good edge.

Probably a hardware store aluminum oxide stone. They are pretty coarse, even the finer ones.

4. David, a post like that was completely uncalled for. I'm shocked, shocked mind you to see you engaged in such unabashedly vicious trolling behavior. You should be immediately banned for life from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    A brief warning about the conduct in this forum, though. I'll liken how sharpening questions go with a clothing analogy:

you: I bought this shirt today, I don't think it fits quite right, what do you think?

Response #1 from forum members: you can get by with it
    " #2 - the shoes are wrong
    " #3 - I would never wear those shoes, that shirt, or that belt that you're wearing in public....and your shirt sucks, too
    " #4 - I went to work for 40 years as a professional and never worried about what #2 or #3 said, it didn't affect me
    " #5 - I'm pretty sure the tanning process in your belt wasn't done properly
    " #6 - poster #3 is a jerk (followed by an exchange between 6 and 3 that gets a thread temporarily locked, and draws in dogpilers from several other forums - and then a blogger or two tells the world they're unhappy with SMC)
    " #7 - (thread is unlocked) post accusing everyone being a jerk after moderators warn. A couple of member show pictures of a bunch of tools that are completely unrelated to a thread. One more jerk post... (thread is permanently locked)

And you go back to sharpening with your stone.

That's a good one. It should've been in there as one of the #s

Oil stone or
    Definitely or.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Probably a hardware store aluminum oxide stone. They are pretty coarse, even the finer ones.
    Feels as coarse as my 120 grit wheel on my bench grinder. I don't see me getting a holy crap that's sharp finish with it.

Blog Entries
    Bridger your a jerk if you don't have anything good to say than don't say anything !! (((-:

David, you generally do a very through job on your comments, but you left out at the very least a couple. I don't know if you were just trying to illustrate in general how the board works, or to list every comment. After I stopped laughing I thought I should add a couple more possible posts that would go on the thread.

In my opinion, you left out one post which would be that the problem with the shirt was that it was from the Stanley clothing store on 604th street, and that those shirts never fit well, and that he should have bought the shirt from Millers clothing on 4th Falls street. His experience is that those shirts always fit better.

At which point someone else would chime in that the store didn't matter, but the key was the angle of the taper....the shirt should have a 25 degree taper, and if that angle was used then the source of the shirt did not matter.

At that point someone would add that they never went to the store on 604th street, because they had been chiseled once there, and that such store was mostly staffed by chiselers, and the shirts from 4th Falls street were just as good and a lot cheaper. At that point the topic would have been hijacked, and a discussion on chiselers running clothing stores and chiseling would have taken it over.

The poor guy never would find out that his was a cotton shirt and if he hadn't washed it in really hot water it would still fit.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 08-26-2014 at 1:41 AM.

There are definitely many I left out

* I left out comments from the shirt collectors about how some shirts were better than others (even though they do the same thing)
    * I think I forgot comments about the pants. You know if someone came here with a question about a shirt, they'd get more answers about their pants
    * I forgot the comment from the guy who doesn't wear shirts and who thinks it's a waste of time to talk about it

(I did get the fights, the unsolicited posts about unrelated tools or projects, the drawing of flies from other places, the obscure "you're wrong" no matter what post - without any explanation, and the general lack of any helpful comment about the shirt - the original request from the person requesting - that gets us a general feel for most threads. Of course there's one other type, and that's where someone asks a question about a shirt and everyone reads it and nobody responds because we're too lazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Feels as coarse as my 120 grit wheel on my bench grinder. I don't see me getting a holy crap that's sharp finish with it.
    Yeah, you definitely won't. There are a lot of forks in the road that lead to various finer stones, and all of them will get you where you need to go, despite comments to the contrary.

I have a bit of a problem buying sharpening stones of various types, but the thing that makes them so interesting to me is that all of them work, and you can get quick and get a good routine with all of them.

There are definitely many I left out

* I left out comments from the shirt collectors about how some shirts were better than others (even though they do the same thing)
    * I think I forgot comments about the pants. You know if someone came here with a question about a shirt, they'd get more answers about their pants
    * I forgot the comment from the guy who doesn't wear shirts and who thinks it's a waste of time to talk about it

(I did get the fights, the unsolicited posts about unrelated tools or projects, the drawing of flies from other places, the obscure "you're wrong" no matter what post - without any explanation, and the general lack of any helpful comment about the shirt - the original request from the person requesting - that gets us a general feel for most threads. Of course there's one other type, and that's where someone asks a question about a shirt and everyone reads it and nobody responds because we're too lazy)

I found it an absolute riot and immediately thought "Oh oh! I can name those people by number now! "

And you forgot the few old farts on the board:

"In the past 50 years since I've worn and made shirts, I've never seen such abhorrent quality and disregard for craftsmanship."
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    I found it an absolute riot and immediately thought "Oh oh! I can name those people by number now! "

And you forgot the few old farts on the board:

"In the past 50 years since I've worn and made shirts, I've never seen such abhorrent quality and disregard for craftsmanship."
    don't forget shirt design!!

Congratulations, that shirt should get the job done for you. Great selection!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Congratulations, that shirt should get the job done for you. Great selection!
    Blatant agreement...how tasteless!!