Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor sign materal?

Question Outdoor sign materal?

I have been tasked with the project of making a outdoor sign for the area we will live in. IT will be a hanging sign double sided about 2.5'x2.5' and will be painted. I need it to withstand the weather all year here in NJ and be about 2" thick.

What material should I use is there such thing as outdoor MDF I can sandwich together for some thickness?
    -=Jason=-

I here people using MDO for outdoor signs

MDO (paint the edges), or Cedar.

+3 for MDO. My signs for my business are on MDO. I simply cut the shape I wanted, painted the whole thing the background color, printed my logo and text on mylar sheet, put it in the overhead projector and shot it on the MDO. Traced, and painted. Perhaps 5-6 years outside and looks good as new.

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

The last 4x8 sign I put up used 4x4 treated posts, with a 4x4 under and over the actual sign, I used a sheet of 3/4" bb form plywood, and my neighbor had a sign business, she made the actual sign from a thin sheet of aluminum which I fastened to the plywood. The sign was still good after several years when we sold all the lots in the subdivision.

Last time I looked 2" HDU was like $400 a sheet. I think the last price sheet I got 3/4" and 1" was close to $200.

Ive read about a bit of troubles with exteria but never used it myself.

I can buy MDO for $60-$70 and Ive left scraps on the outside of by building under a gutter downspout for ages and they look just about like they were delivered the other day.

Why do some some people have to find fault with every reply to a post?
    I guess someday I'll learn to keep my comments to myself and let the experts answer all questions.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Why do some some people have to find fault with every reply to a post?
    I guess someday I'll learn to keep my comments to myself and let the experts answer all questions.
    Tony, I'll assume you were responding to me. I guess its likely wrong but I kinda default to this being a hobby forum (not a bad thing in any way) unless the post specifically states otherwise. For me, and its only me, that means I'm thinking of people looking at Borg ply being 50-60 a sheet being costly. Suggesting material that's $400 a sheet doesn't seem productive to me but I guess someone may bite.

Sorry to twist your nut.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    I have been tasked with the project of making a outdoor sign for the area we will live in. IT will be a hanging sign double sided about 2.5'x2.5' and will be painted. I need it to withstand the weather all year here in NJ and be about 2" thick.

What material should I use is there such thing as outdoor MDF I can sandwich together for some thickness?
    Dreyer's Lumber in Chatham has the MDO.

Suggesting material that's $400 a sheet doesn't seem productive to me but I guess someone may bite.
    Odd.

I didn't think that Tony was trying to sell anything, was he? I for one, appreciate the opportunity to expand my knowledge about different products that are available "out there."

I may never buy a sheet of it, but if it happens that something like that would fill a need, I would be very happy that someone took the time to share information about it.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Odd.

I didn't think that Tony was trying to sell anything, was he? I for one, appreciate the opportunity to expand my knowledge about different products that are available "out there."

I may never buy a sheet of it, but if it happens that something like that would fill a need, I would be very happy that someone took the time to share information about it.
    Couldnt agree more.

If you place a value on your labor you will often find that the more expensive material is the best value.
    Although hobby sign makers rarely use Dupont Corian because of its price I rarely use any other material for interior or exterior signs. Tony obviously has his preferences as well and probably has good reasons for his recommendation.

Thanks bill I am about a mile away from them it is a new sign for our neibor hood "stone ridge" that got stolen last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Dreyer's Lumber in Chatham has the MDO.
    -=Jason=-

You can read up on these materials, but these are the common ones in the sign industry. MDO, HDU, & PVC. Each have their pros and cons. MDO for example cannot be carved and will eventually fail from water seeping into the ply. Sealing the edges will help but it's still an inevitability. HDU is great for carving but takes a bit of work to finish and can be tricky to mount. PVC takes longer to carve and can be on the heavier side but is very durable.

If you're doing a painted, vinyl, or letter applied sign MDO is probably the best bet. Anything carved you're going to be looking at PVC or HDU. Also don't be afraid to fake thickness. Buy a piece of 3/4" material and then build up the sides to make the panel look thicker, similar to how they do counter tops.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving