Thread: Rookie Turner Pine Bowl

Rookie Turner Pine Bowl

I'm a pretty new woodturner, been doing it for about a year now and I have learned a lot from this forum, That aside a couple of moths ago my sister gave me a piece of pine from the cabin she's having built. Well I know that pine is soft but I'll turn anything so I turned a bowl, it had a nice shape but it looked a little boring to me so I tried something a little different. I took a torch to the bowl and burned it pretty good, inside and out. Then I took a wire brush and brushed away as much of the sap wood that I could then finished it with poly. I love the end result it has the original shape, interestig texture, and a deep rich color. What do you guys think?

Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pine would never be my choice, but looks like a good solid bowl. What are the dimensions? I'd get another piece of pine and make the sister a bowl for a house warming present.

BTW, the burning treatment works well with Ash too.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Nicely done. The burning trick works particularly well with Douglas fir also. What makes it work well is the contrast between really hard dense latewood and softer earlywood. Not all pines have as strong a contrast as you want for this but as you have found, some do. Doug fir usually has it in spades.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Way to be creative, the torching gave that bowl some serious character. I like it, you done good.

Russ, you're on to something there. Keep pursuing it. The look is interesting. Look forward to your next pine bowl....or hollow form.

The burning does add to the pine. I have simi-rustic piece of pine that I might just have to try doing some pyro on. Thanks for he suggestion.