Thread: Alex, I'll take unknown lathe machines for $1000 (Jeopardy)

Alex, I'll take unknown lathe machines for $1000 (Jeopardy)

So, this was acquired via a C*List barter... told it runs well, looks VERY solid (minus the surface rust) - but I have no idea what make/model it is

The only visible writing on the lathe rails is "Illinois G USA" - and the motor is a 1/3HP Powr Kraft made by Montgomery Ward

Any ideas?

Oh, and if anyone can show me how I should mount the motor for a multiple-pully machine, that would be most helpful!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike vonBuelow; 08-25-2014 at 11:22 PM.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I'd be surprised if this is width $1000. IMHO a belt-driven lathe tops out at $500, but let's see.

Will follow this closely

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I see there is a similar lathe on Ebay, but it shows a Powr Kraft medallion on it - and in really good shape going for $200. Also, there's some old Montgomery Ward brochures listed, which appear to have a similar lathe on the cover... so I might have solved this.

So now it looks like I'm needing to find out how one mounts this setup... luckily my neighbor makes wood furniture, so I just need some plans drawn up
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

Lathe is made by Logan. They no longer make lathes, but do supply parts. See http://www.lathe.com/ and look under "Table of Contents for Lathes" and "Model Number table" for the model number on the motor plate.

I've find a stepped pulley for the motor shaft and mount it so that you could flop the belt around to make different speeds. You could also mount the motor on a hinged plate from the back of the bed. That way the weight of the motor tensions the belt.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Thx Bruce, I'll check it out

Jim, I saw something similar on youtube... motor off to side and hinged - does it provide enough tension? I'm just envisioning it bouncing around
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer