Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knackered my Trotec Speedy 300 lens!

I'll have a go at treating it like a woman then Jit. Bryan at Trotec said I could send it him to have a look at too but I think it's probably past repair.

I have just had a new lens delivered from Trotec, the holder for this one is a metal one as apposed to the black plastic holder on our old one. I presume that this is just an updated holder rather than it meaning it's a different focus, I did ask for the 2,0" lens so I'm presuming I don't need to do anything other than stick this new lens straight in and start working or do I need to do any sort of re-focusing or anything (I don't imagine so?).

lens-ruined.jpg
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Blog Entries
    Do NOT use oven cleaner... sheesh, you guys are treating Ferraris like disposable Yugos! Use the proper cleaning solution for your lens and mirrors so we don't have to hear your tale of woe a year from now how the power output seems to have dropped or your focal point isn't as sharp as it used to be. At the very least, go to your local liquor store and pick up a bottle of Everclear... if you don't use it on your lens, take a swig or two for your own sanity (and mine!).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Do NOT use oven cleaner... sheesh, you guys are treating Ferraris like disposable Yugos! Use the proper cleaning solution for your lens and mirrors so we don't have to hear your tale of woe a year from now how the power output seems to have dropped or your focal point isn't as sharp as it used to be. At the very least, go to your local liquor store and pick up a bottle of Everclear... if you don't use it on your lens, take a swig or two for your own sanity (and mine!).
    Oven cleaner hasn't been touched
    I'll have another go with the proper cleaning solution but don't think it will make much difference.

Just to check, my new lens am I OK to just stick in and work away or does it need any sort of fettling. Looking at the box, it looks like the stats on this new one are 2,01mm and on the old one the box says 2,03mm, unsure if that will make any difference. I guess if just trying it out won't harm it I can just run a small job and see the results.
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Right, just run a test job and the lens/laser clearly needs to be re-fucussed as it has done a terrible job. I've searched and can't find a guide anywhere as to what to do, can anyone help as I've got a number of jobs I need to get done today and currently can't do any!

Just to add, I'm using the focus tool like I always have to position the height of the bed from the laser.

Also, is the silver casing of my lens (instead of black) a likely mean that it might be the wrong lens?

No answer from Trotec support is why I'm peppering the questions here at the moment!
    Last edited by Mark Ward; 08-27-2014 at 7:14 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

As far as I know there in only one adjustment and that's the height off the table. If your focus tool is not right then that means you have a different focal length lens now. If you want to empirically find the focus you can do it by trial and error. I use this pattern in raster mode for checking focus. 0.2mm to 0.5mm spacing and line width.
    track_space.png
    The horizontal will always have more error due to the rastering process (backlash etc). For your z height concentrate on the vertical error. Someone else may have a better solution but it sounded like you want to get going "now"

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    As far as I know there in only one adjustment and that's the height off the table. If your focus tool is not right then that means you have a different focal length lens now. If you want to empirically find the focus you can do it by trial and error. I use this pattern in raster mode for checking focus. 0.2mm to 0.5mm spacing and line width.
    track_space.png
    The horizontal will always have more error due to the rastering process (backlash etc). For your z height concentrate on the vertical error. Someone else may have a better solution but it sounded like you want to get going "now"

Cheers
    Keith
    Thanks for the quick reply Keith. I think they have sent me the wrong lens then as I was using the focus tool and not only is the holder a silver metal rather than the black plastic that the previous one was but the engraving/cutting as it is a country mile off even being close which 2 lens should be in a similar ball park at least.

Thanks for that possible work around, I may have to give it a go, although I'm hoping I might be able to go to a local(ish) Trotec showroom and run my jobs there, waiting for a call back now
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

I believe in some previous posts Gary Hair may have suggested that inclining a piece of anodized aluminum on the table then running test patterns on it might help determine the focal length. A search should turn up a couple of threads on the topic.

Mark

I believe the holders are color coded and a recent post identified the colors. I think it was Steve Shepherd who posted it. The two inch lens should have a black holder.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-27-2014 at 7:35 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ward View Post
    Also, is the silver casing of my lens (instead of black) a likely mean that it might be the wrong lens?
    Mark, you are correct, that's the wrong lens. As Mike said, the black is 2.0", the silver is 2.5". I just measured the focus tool for the silver one and it's about 12mm longer (further away) than the black one. Put the silver one in, focus it, then look at your z value in Job Control (there's an X,Y,Z value that's real time) and just lower the table by 12mm.

That will get you running until you can get things sorted out.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

This is a long shot, but try taking the lens to a camera store and see if they have any recommendations....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Mark, you are correct, that's the wrong lens. As Mike said, the black is 2.0", the silver is 2.5". I just measured the focus tool for the silver one and it's about 12mm longer (further away) than the black one. Put the silver one in, focus it, then look at your z value in Job Control (there's an X,Y,Z value that's real time) and just lower the table by 12mm.

That will get you running until you can get things sorted out.
    Top man, this is what I did, had to switch the nose cone out for the larger holed one too. Managed to get the jobs done to more an acceptable level in the end and hopefully Trotec send the correct lense out tomorrow!
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm. Listening to folks talk about knackering lenses left and right made me wonder exactly how many spare lenses it is wise to have on hand. Needless to say I am talking about Chinese machines where lenses are not as expensive as a Trotec's, and where at the time of your initial order the weight of extra lenses is not going to impact your shipping costs.

Dave
    Last edited by David Somers; 08-27-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Dave... When I got my Chinese machine I got a spare lens in every size.... Never used one if them yet. The Trotec, exactly the opposite.. Go figure.
    Gwieke 1290-100W,
    Trotec Speedy 400 - 80W
    Corel Draw X4

I have been in the business for 17 years using a ULS and now Trotec and have never replaced a lens. Nor have I ever had a spare. (KNOCK ON WOOD)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I have been in the business for 17 years using a ULS and now Trotec and have never replaced a lens. Nor have I ever had a spare. (KNOCK ON WOOD)
    I'm in the same boat as you Mike though not as long. In 8 years I haven't had to replace a lens. I do have several spares however, they came with an Epilog Radius that was given to me - I ended up with several new and several barely used lenses of various lengths. Lots of mirrors too but I have to cut them down to fit - no hurry though, again, 8 years with the same mirrors. Clean them regularly with lens cleaner and lens cloth and it's amazing how long they will last!

Blog Entries
    Good to know!!! Thanks everyone!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.