Thread: 1HP DC blower recommendation?

1HP DC blower recommendation?

Hi, all -

I'm looking to install a dust collector in the front corner of my garage shop. We rent, and there isn't a lot of electrical capacity in the garage - only two circuits, and no 220V - so I think for my current DC, I'm going to have to go with a 1hp unit. My intention is to mount the unit in the front corner of the garage; it will be directly on top of a cyclone and will discharge into a Wynn filter; the cyclone will discharge into a can below. I'm not planning on long runs, with it, though; my TS is adjacent to it, and I would roll the planer outside to be near it, as well - I figure probably no more than 5 feet of rigid pipe followed by a single 10 foot length of flex hose (or possibly the reverse of that, if I can make it fit).

So...I'm looking for recommendations for a quality, 1HP dust collector blower. My criteria, in order of importance, are (1) CFM and (2) noise level. Unfortunately, these are both fairly critical to me. Normally I wouldn't care so much about noise, but the unit will be installed about 10 feet from the neighbor's front door/walkway. (It's an odd layout, but we are on a cul-de-sac and the front yards are only slightly wider than the driveways!) Has anyone used the HF ones? They have a green "13gal" unit and a red "12gal" unit, and I'm unsure of the performance difference. [Edit: More research, discovered the red one is a universal motor, the green is induction. So, scratch the red one!] I'm also not sure there's a (non-price) difference between these and the Rockler unit. Anyone have any insight?

Also, if anyone knows where I might find a used unit in the Las Vegas area, please let me know. I'd rather have a used Delta than a new HF, but since I really just want the blower, I doubt I'll find myself any deals...

Thanks,

daniel
    Last edited by daniel lane; 08-26-2014 at 3:18 PM.
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Daniel,

If all you are planning is to collect from a table saw or a jointer/planer then the old Delta 3/4 HP portable works fine. I put mine in a (33 inch wide) under counter cabinet. I just checked and at ten feet outside the garage door all you hear is a hum, and I did not insulate the cabinet.