Thread: Gluing wet wood

Gluing wet wood

I want to turn a piece of wet or green wood using a faceplate and a glue block, will there be a problem gluing wet wood ?

Yellow glue will not bond if moisture content is higher than about 22%.

Ray Key does his bowls using a glue block with CA Glue. Search Youtube for Ray Key.

CA glue works fine with wet wood. Moisture is an accelerant so will set up faster on wet wood.

Thanks gentlemen I did not think of CA glue but I did glue up two pieces to see how it would go. I used Titebond 2 clamped it for 12 hours and when I took the clamps off they just fell apart, I'm going to try the CA glue. PS the moisture content read 19 per cent.

When using CA for glue blocks be sure to use lots of glue.....squeeze-out is a must. No clamp just hand pressure for a minute or so. Ready to turn in another minute or so

Today I used a medium thick CA glue and it bonded the wet wood perfect, I was able to turn the piece wet almost immediately. Thanks Wally.

best bet is to use a flexible CA so that it won't shear as easily from the shock of the gouge.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

How can you tell if a CA glue is flexible ? Also is a CA glue joint permanent ? I read that CA glue joints will eventually fail and was wondering if that was true.

For most any glue job yellow glue is the best. However, for many years I've used CA for gluing collars on HFs. Never had a failure that I know of. I've seen pieces that I did 30 years ago...still intact.

I think that CA gets a bad rap regarding shearing off glue blocks etc. If a glue block fails its almost always because not enough glue was used or the gluing surfaces weren't true and flat.......I've been using glue blocks for a lot of years on hundreds of pieces. Haven't had a failure in years.