Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you buy this (small jointer planer)?

Can you get one of the Record PT260 in Finland?

It's a modern variant of the Inca 570, and more than adequate for most hobbyist shops.
    Some of our more famous North American builders (like Jeff Miller) use theirs regularly.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product...r#.U_8Q8fldVrI

Record PT260.jpg

Would be very difficult for me to pass on that Jonsreds planer. You'd have to factor in moving expenses for it as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Can you get one of the Record PT260 in Finland?

It's a modern variant of the Inca 570, and more than adequate for most hobbyist shops.
    Some of our more famous North American builders (like Jeff Miller) use theirs regularly.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product...r#.U_8Q8fldVrI

Record PT260.jpg
    Only reason I am considering such a small machine is the low low price due to my limited budget.

Once I find/can afford a proper machine (something a bit smaller than that jonsered, or its size but a combo machine) that suits me you can be pretty certain it will be old, older than me, made from cast iron and weigh hundreds of kilos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Aspö View Post
    Once I find/can afford a proper machine (something a bit smaller than that jonsered, or its size but a combo machine) that suits me you can be pretty certain it will be old, older than me, made from cast iron and weigh hundreds of kilos.
    You won't go far wrong, that way.
    If you have space for it, why not?

I came into a stash of lumber that had already been surfaced, on two sides.
    For me, a jointer or planer are extravagant.

If you're milling your own lumber, direct from the sawmill
    it certainly makes sense to own something like this.

What is the secondary market like for large equipment, in Finland?
    That is to say; if you make a housing change, or need to recoup space -
    how difficult is it to find a buyer?

I'd like to be able to take firewood, downed trees and the like and turn it into usable lumber, as well as buying cheap lumber that has only been rough sawn so a jointer and planer are some of the most useful tools I can think of, behind my table saw.

I've not considered a housing change as I am committed to living and dying in this place. I have not tried to sell any woodworking equipment so I cannot say, the market seems smaller than over in sweden though. Hope it won't come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Aspö
    I was offered to buy a stanley no.7 by someone else.
    Whether you buy the power joiners or not you should definitely get the number 7, you'll use it no matter what.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I buy the little guy but probably only use it for flatten and thicknessing maybe rough edge jointing, but with a good bench and that #7 you could joint anything. So guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't mess around trying to make a different fence for the powered jointer/planner. Just sharpen the blades, make sure its in working order and have at it.

Definitely buy the #7
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

You can always clamp a board to the table to make a fence.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The small machine does have the original adjustable guard mount on it, it should be simple to make a home made bridge guard to go over it.

If the thickneser section is in good working order, you should buy it.

It will not be a problem to find a planer fence that will fit, or you could simply use a larger piece of aluminum angle, perhaps 100mm high to make a longer planer fence.

For NA users Jointer = planer. planer = thicknesser........................Rod.
    Rod makes sense. Some ingenuity and few euros could yield a better fence & guard. As far as planer bed length, I've seen rules of thumb that say you can process stock 1.5 to 2 X the lenth of the beds without auxilary support. My own experience supports that though for me 2X is maximum.