Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy this (small jointer planer)?

Would you buy this (small jointer planer)?

Or does it look like junk? Seller wants 100 euros for it. I'd like a small combo machine I can use for a few years before I move onto something bigger. Things I notice is the home made guard, a plastic pipe (!) and home made fence. It has a 3-phase motor (the plug is 3phase) which is a bonus, infact the motor alone might be somehing I can reuse later in a project (a future project I wanna make is Mathias Wandels bandsaw, it could be real good for that).

There are rust signs here and there so I am wondering if it might be cast iron instead of aluminum, that would be nice if so. I have asked the seller about that but we're in email communication and I am waiting for an answer.

I am wondering if one could make a new protective cover from wood that is then bolted to the suva arm. The homemade fence looks like it only works in 90 degrees, not sure I have actually planned todo anything but use it like that anyway.

I would not. No adjustable, usable fence, no guard on belt, home made blade guard, table is very short.

The fence is not adjustable but why is it not usable? Sure it's a small cheap machine, but it's something I can afford and use/improve while waiting for something better to fall into my lap as well as accumulate some funds. I have 3-phase power too so I can run it.

This appears to be some type of combo machine, you plane one side flat on the upper table, then once it is flat, put it through flat side down on the lower table? Was not able to see any rollers, does it have a system to send the board through or do you have to push it through the thicknesser?

Blog Entries
    Responses are generally based on a person's experiences. Where I live, used machines are pretty available and so I look at that machine and think, "no, I'll keep looking". As Mike mentions, there are a lot of cobbled features on that machine that many of us consider paramount to a versatile, properly operating machine. I have no idea what the tool market is like in Finland but, we have had other members from other countries tell of the challenges they face.

If the machine cuts true and you can improve the safety factor (I see no way to edge joint on that rig with a guard in place but, maybe it slides away from the fence) it could be a good bet but, none of us want to recommend a machine we feel may be unsafe. I hesitate to make a judgement not knowing the market in your area or your means. For $132.00 you would not get much around here in the form of a jointer planer combo so, I can at least say that ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I can't tell you whether or not you should buy it but one thing that pops into my head: What is the cutterhead speed? Because the motor is clearly from some other application and we have no idea what the drive ratio between the motor pulley and the cutterhead arbor is or should be. In other words, no idea if the cuts-per-inch would be what we want. Just a thought that occurs to me.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Responses are generally based on a person's experiences. Where I live, used machines are pretty available and so I look at that machine and think, "no, I'll keep looking". As Mike mentions, there are a lot of cobbled features on that machine that many of us consider paramount to a versatile, properly operating machine. I have no idea what the tool market is like in Finland but, we have had other members from other countries tell of the challenges they face.

If the machine cuts true and you can improve the safety factor (I see no way to edge joint on that rig with a guard in place but, maybe it slides away from the fence) it could be a good bet but, none of us want to recommend a machine we feel may be unsafe. I hesitate to make a judgement not knowing the market in your area or your means. For $132.00 you would not get much around here in the form of a jointer planer combo so, I can at least say that ;-)
    Well I am pretty sure it's worse than your market. I'm quite cash strapped at the moment as well and most what I find is 1000+. I think I've found under less than 10 machines in all of finland.

There only other deal nearby (120km north) is a this jonsered jointer for 400e which is cheap (yet still a lot for me) for what it is (the rolls royce of jointers someone called it). But my shop is a small garage style shop and I would still need a planer in addition. But is sure is nice looking (I like old cast iron machines) in contrast to this:

The other machine is about as far away too so I'd have go far just to look at it...

Perhaps I ought to keep looking, I was offered to buy a stanley no.7 by someone else.

The small machine does have the original adjustable guard mount on it, it should be simple to make a home made bridge guard to go over it.

If the thickneser section is in good working order, you should buy it.

It will not be a problem to find a planer fence that will fit, or you could simply use a larger piece of aluminum angle, perhaps 100mm high to make a longer planer fence.

For NA users Jointer = planer. planer = thicknesser........................Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 08-27-2014 at 4:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The small machine does have the original adjustable guard mount on it, it should be simple too make a home made bridge guard to go over it.

If the thickneser section is in good working order, you should buy it.

It will not be a problem to find a planer fence that will fit, or you could simply use a larger piece of aluminum angle, perhaps 100mm high to make a longer planer fence.

For NA users Jointer = planer. planer = thicknesser........................Rod.
    Agree 100% with what Rod says.

That unit appears wider than 6" (150mm), is it an 8" wide unit (200mm)?

I'd buy it just for being so darned cute. Then I'd by the jointer also, that thing would make a great piece for my office. If space is an issue, the jointer, with a removable top, would make a heck of a stout bench.

That is a jointer/planer combo machine. Very handy to have in a small shop. You can get help with any repairs @ owwm.org as long as it wasn't made in Asia.
    100 euros is about $131 US. Not a bad price.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I believe you answered your question...."It has a 3-phase motor......". Go for it and perhaps you can make something of this machine! If not, you got the motor!

Found out the machine was an emco, probably part of a combo machine set turned into a standalone machine, there seem to be some spare parts available such as new cutters. It's got a cast iron planer table and aluminum jointer table. I would have preferred cast iron there too but I can live with aluminum for a few years as I save up for a bigger machine, if I wear it too much I have heard people fixing it by putting a steel sheet on as the new top.

It should also be an 8" wide jointer, same for the planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Aspö View Post
    The fence is not adjustable but why is it not usable? Sure it's a small cheap machine, but it's something I can afford and use/improve while waiting for something better to fall into my lap as well as accumulate some funds. I have 3-phase power too so I can run it.
    OK, I'll change usable to useful. Too small in height for quick accurate jointing of any large pieces. If it is not adjustable, then it will be almost useless for joining if it is not already true 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Aspö View Post
    Found out the machine was an emco, probably part of a combo machine set turned into a standalone machine, there seem to be some spare parts available such as new cutters. It's got a cast iron planer table and aluminum jointer table. I would have preferred cast iron there too but I can live with aluminum for a few years as I save up for a bigger machine, if I wear it too much I have heard people fixing it by putting a steel sheet on as the new top.

It should also be an 8" wide jointer, same for the planer.
    Sounds like you determined that you were going to buy this before you posted, so just do it.

I actually wasn't and have been going back and forth on it for days, but thanks for the assumption.