Thread: Wadkin table saw

Wadkin table saw

Hello,I'm new to this forum and I didn't notice a section for vintage tools so I thought I'd try here.I was given this saw and I know nothing of its age or quality other than I've heard Wadkin made some real quality tools.I tried google and I didn't really get much info.I have yet to pick it up so that doesn't help,however I do know the 3hp motor is new and there is nothing wrong with it aside from the rust.The owner doesn't believe the fence is there???If anyone can give me some insight as to value and a rough guess as to the price of a proper fence that would be great.Honestly the more info the better,before I go pick up a potential anchor.Thanx.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Sasha Gillender; 08-27-2014 at 4:14 AM.

The AGS-10 is a pretty great saw, the 10 in the name means it takes a 10" blade.

I was looking for one of those when I was still hunting a saw. I understand the original fence was nothing great, so perhaps take this chance to get something better fitted. I have read about others restoring AGS-10s and a possible troublesome area is the lifting mechanism:
    http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/t...ed-t55249.html

Assuming you have 3 phase power or some way to develop it; either a VFD or a rotary converter??
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Have you visited OWWM (Vintage Machinery)?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Have you visited OWWM (Vintage Machinery)?
    OWWM. Org does not give appraisals, but can help with any other issues.

Vintagemachinery. Org will have manuals, parts lists, etc.

You will find it is not your typical "home workshop" machine. More suited for a large shop.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 08-27-2014 at 7:37 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Be aware that saw is not your typical "home workshop" machine. More suited for a commercial shop.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If you have the space and ability to run it, that's just a good thing IMO.

It could either be a gem, or a boat anchor in an odd shape.

It looks like it's missing the fence and mitre gauge, neither of which are serious issues.

The main consideration is the blade tilt/raise mechanism, if nothing is broken there, and it's not worn out you're good to go. Arbour bearings are a normal replacement item when refurbishing the saw.

Is the table flat?

It looks like it had a stock feeder on it, which could be a sign of heavy use.

If the price is good, and machine condition is good, it could be worthwhile purchasing it.

Be aware however that after all is said and done, it's still just a cabinet saw, not something I would reccomend.....................Rod.

i responded to your one post with the same pics at "Wadkin central" on the Canadian woodworking vintage tool forum, that forum has the largest concentration of Wasdkinits in the world. that said the american base OWWM could help as the saw is similar to the powermatic 66 in build quality through a right tilt. As i said in Canada yours is a the earlier design of the AGS with the trunnions milled in to a case iron tub you see just below the table and on top the tin base. later modle used the cheaper slug from the top trunnion american style build .this is the biggest difference over the american model cabinet saws. so it is must likely more robust the the Uni/Powermatic 66/ general 350 10" saw. very few over at OWWM are aware of the design changes over the years with the AGS that was conceived by Sagar Bursgreen in the early 50s. Wadkin bought Sagar in 1956 and with the swipe of a pen got the very innovative firm of Bursgreen. wadkin took on MR Barrows of Barrows and Green(bursgreen) who would ran Wadkin Bursgreen will in the late 60s. So this makes this saw a Mr Barrows design that carried on in production for a few more years after he left the firm.

this saw was built in 1971 BTW

manual
    http://www.wadkin.com/uploads/files/...rts%20List.pdf
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-27-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    jack
    English machines