Thread: Vertical Grain Douglas Fir Cabinet Build - Part 2

Vertical Grain Douglas Fir Cabinet Build - Part 2

I just completed this small cabinet for the bathroom. It's mostly a hand tool build, and this video shows the doors and back construction, and the final installation. More inspiration than instruction.

I don't think that you have douglas fir there. Could be balsam.
    ron
    Last edited by ron david; 08-27-2014 at 4:09 AM.

I appreciate the time you spent on the video pretty good job.I made a video I going to share with the creek but when I went back and reviewed it I was mostly walking around looking for my pencil.I am also not very well spoken and mumble a lot.
    Looks very light colored for Doug Fir my guess is sugar pine.
    Thanks for sharing.Aj

Not sure why we are doubting what type of wood he is using there, maybe he mentioned somewhere in the video that he wasn't sure exactly. I didn't watch the entire video so that could be the case. Either way I have to agree with the OP Marty, that is def vertical grain Doug Fir. I have worked large amounts of this wood and can attest to the variation in colors. I prefer the lighter colored tight grain doug fir that he has used in this cabinet build and really like the piece all together. Really nice job Marty, I love this piece. Hopefully whatever you used for a finish will hold up to the moisture issues in the bathroom and hopefully the sliding doors don't bind up due to humidity issues. The bathroom can be a very torturous place for sliding solid wood doors. But I have found that quatersawn doug fir is very stable.

That is an interesting video but it went on too long for my limited attention span. A little judicious editing would have greatly reduced the time without reducing the content in any significant way.

I commented on the wood simply by the way he pared some end grain.Not by the color of the wood..20 or better lines per inch is considered tight grain in my book.
    i thought the video looked nice and shows how patient woodworker Marty is.Aj

I know this is an older thread, but I really liked that video, and love the piece! Well done and thanks for sharing.

The more and more I'm inundated with background noise nowadays (music, talking, advertising), the more I appreciate silence. It was really relaxing to watch without any background music or incessant yammering. I personally like the way there wasn't a ton of editing. No need to talk when you can explain things by doing.

Well done!

I missed this project when originally posted. Thanks for taking the time to make the video. I enjoyed the quiet as well.