Thread: Soliciting DC location advice

Soliciting DC location advice

I have a barn with a wall making it two rooms. The shop is fully insulated with spray foam. I planned to place my 5hp cyclone on the other side of the wall (still indoors, but not temperature controlled). Now I'm having second thoughts. How much of my AC/heated space will I lose through the two holes I'll make in the wall, one for the DC piping, the second hold for the return air. The cyclone would be in unconditioned space so I'm sure the air inside it will get plenty cold in winter and warm in summer. BTW, I live in South Dakota. Would you keep the shop tightly sealed and place the DC inside it's walls, or is it too loud that the extra money spent on heat and air is worth it to keep the noise levels down?

Thanks.

I think it is a good thing to get the unit out of your shop area, although I would be tempted to build a lean-to on the side of your barn to put it in, if you find the space valuable. Thing is you need a window between your shop and the DC, so you can see the pipe below the cyclone to see if it is full, and the area insulated well to avoid making it a heat and cool losing problem. You also need an outside door to take the sacks or drum outside. It would also be cool if you could set your system up so you could vent outside during nice weather. And use the filter during hot and cold weather.

You could build an insulated enclosure (simple 2x4 framed wall with insulation batts) around the cyclone. That will reduce noise and retain your conditioned air.

Matt, in my new shop I started off with a 5 hp cyclone in the shop with me. That did not last long! Subsequently I moved it into a separate room off the side of the main shop, with the return air ducted back into the shop. That way I don't lose my climate control, but the main source of noise is outside of the shop.

A lot of it depends on the size of the room your putting it in. I have mine in a small (5x6x10) adjacent room and although it is insulated, because there is no circulation (until I turn on the DC), it does get rather hot during the summer. Our winters are mild, so that is not really a problem. When I initially turn it on, I notice the temperature change but if I'm running it for long periods (or lots of short periods) the temperature eventually stabilizes. If your room is very large I would do as Marty advised and build a enclosure. One thing to consider is building your return air duct with sound board and routing it in a square U or even a square double U fashion. I did this with mine and with the DC on, I can still carry on a conversation at normal levels.

Blog Entries
    If you are unsure I would do as Marty suggests. Frame it in and insulate.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler