Thread: Aqua Coat Grain filler and Danish Oil

Aqua Coat Grain filler and Danish Oil

I have some walnut candle holders that I trying to finish and need some advice. I ordered some clear grain filler to fill the grain on the walnut (first time doing that any tips appreciated) and I would like to finish the walnut with danish oil should i fill the grain first or after the danish oil? The only danish oil I have used before is the natural (on some sapele) would you recommend the dark walnut instead. I am trying to just slightly darken the walnut but keep the sap wood fairly light. I am thinking I would fill the grain first the a light coat of shellac (spray can) and the put the danish oil on. I have some Target conversion varnish that I was going to spray on after that but I am wondering if the danish oil would be sufficient. Thanks for any help.

David

Danish Oil (or oil/varnish mixes in general) are meant to be "in the wood" finishes withno film building on the surface. They should be applied, allowed to penetrate for a short time and then thoroughly wiped to remove all excess. If you have previously sealed the surface, with shellac, or with pore filler, the Danish Oil isn't going to work as intended. Generally pore filled walnut is intended to be part of a formal finish with a film top coat. Danish oil is a casual finish, meant to look like it isn't there. Pores wouldn't be filled with such a finish. Yes, sometimes folks create a slurry of wood in the oil/varnish to fill pores, but I have never been happy with that result, and haven't tried that for ages.