Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For Those Who Have Moved Your Workshop...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post

It made me wonder how many homeowners would see the workshop the same way. And that brings up the question, how many homeowners would even want a workshop?
    Almost none. I doubt anyone would want the equipment even it was free. The house would likely 'show better' if you removed all the equipment and it was an empty room.

That was the advise 2 realtors gave me. Our house sold in 7 days, to a tractor collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    The house would likely 'show better' if you removed all the equipment and it was an empty room.
    Yesterday I was in the shop cleaning it out and imagined it empty. I thought just what you said. The decision was then made, sell what I want to replace and pack the rest up.

I moved my woodworking shop equipment 15 years ago, about 2 miles across town. I had the house movers stick the heavy stuff (tablesaw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, etc., including m,y 60" wooden workbench) that I didn't sell at a yard sale in the back of the large moving van/truck that we didn't fill up with households and furniture and everything made it OK.

Now, I've also invested in a mini mill and a 10"X 40" metal lathe, and welding equipment and we will have to do it again when we retire in a couple of years. I plan on hiring some help to load a car carrier type flat bed trailer and tow it with my Dodge Ram (diesel). Then I'll hire some help to set it up it in the new shop. Not really that bad unless I end up in a basement. I may even bring my 40 year old work bench/vise again...
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

I just got back from a not-so-sunny week in Florida. I've probably visited that area a dozen times but never have I seen so much rain! Anyway, we looked at a few houses and each time I tried to imagine where the workshop will go. Some houses required a LOT of imagination! Without a basement, you lose a lot of utility space.

In none of the houses did I see any kind of workshop. But all the houses needed work. I was wondering if most homeowners just picked up the phone when they wanted something done. The realtor offered to give me names of local contractors he's used in the past, as if doing so wasn't at all unusual. But it's been a long time since I last looked for a home to buy so maybe this isn't uncommon.

I did get the chance to stop by a HD. Customer traffic looked about the same as around here though I did see more contractor vehicles in the parking lot than I do here. I also saw a lot of very pricey cars on the road and a lot more very old vehicles than I see around here. One local referred to it as "the land of beamers and beaters". It did seem like there was a big disparity between the haves and have-nots. I did a lot of driving around and not once did I not see see someone standing on a street corner begging. And the neighborhoods changed in the blink of an eye. I don't remember seeing much of that on my previous visits but last time I was in the WPB area was almost 20 years ago.

It looks like finding a place for the workshop will be a bit of an issue. Some homes have converted the garage in the back of the property into a residence. With all the damage the sun can do to your car, I was surprised how many homeowners don't use their garage, if they have one. This could be a challenge.

[QUOTE=Julie Moriarty;2318539]I just got back from a not-so-sunny week in Florida. I've probably visited that area a dozen times but never have I seen so much rain!

I did a lot of driving around and not once did I not see see someone standing on a street corner begging.

do Florida had a monsoon season ?, were the homeless people at the soup kitchen ?

Moved the shop twice now, one long distance by Mayflower, once across town. I packed all the small stuff myself and for the second move had real equipment riggers move the big stuff. They were a quarter the price of a "moving" company and didn't flinch at hauling heavy machines out of the basement intact-- the "movers" required that I take everything apart and still banged stuff up and complained. I'd go with the riggers every time, they had the equipment and expertise to make it look easy. Everything had to go into PODs (not that brand) for most of a year during construction; moving it was easy except that we were about a ton over the maximum weight limit. The driver let us get by with that.