Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't we leave the TP alone?

Can't we leave the TP alone?

http://www.jsonline.com/business/whe...272647141.html

They're beginning to make toilet paper with no center cardboard roll. They claim environmental benefits (last time I checked the center rolls were biodegradable and the basis for a great many kindergarten projects).

This kind of reminds me of the recent "door won't close" thread.

It is like we're racing to the bottom, trying to figure out how to save one penny, but giving up ten cents in value.

Where does all of the paper (that required chemical and industrial processes to make) go, as in what do the sanitary authorities do with it. It would seem the problem is the paper and not the core.

I don't doubt that they get a few nutcases who write them and tell them that throwing away those cores is causing the end of the world...

Personal I think its great one last item to havta throw away/recycle. And even though it is biodegradable I wonder if, with all that other trash on top, it really does or how long it takes. The thing that would tick me off is if the roll-less rolls were more expensive.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Personal I think its great one last item to havta throw away/recycle. And even though it is biodegradable I wonder if, with all that other trash on top, it really does or how long it takes. The thing that would tick me off is if the roll-less rolls were more expensive.
    I don't want to fight with the roll of TP to get more than a single sheet. I'm sure Sheryl Crow will love it, though.

Don't ya think it ends up in the same place as our poo?

In Milwaukee we recycle our droppings.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milorganite
    Last edited by Judson Green; 08-27-2014 at 2:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I don't want to fight with the roll of TP to get more than a single sheet.

I've no experience with the roll-less TP, perhaps the next shopping trip I'll look for it to see its price and perhaps buy a package and see if it puts up a fight. I'll report back.

But like I was hinting in above post my guess is its marketing thing and probably costs more for less. If true I'd not be interested.

When I saw the commercial for this a couple months ago, they cited how many rolls are actually wasted. It's more than you'd think. Even if the savings is only 1 penny, that's a lot of pennies. I am not sure where you are getting ten cents in value, though. Do you like your rolls that much? I smell an idea for a toiletroll app so kids can make virtual projects with electronic toilet rolls.

What will all the gerbils eat, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I am not sure where you are getting ten cents in value, though. Do you like your rolls that much?
    The value doesn't come from the leftover roll, it comes from the utility of the roll when dispensing the product.

Here at work they changed out all our TP to the "no tube" kind. As you get close to the end, the tightly round TP sticks to itself and tears in chunks and essentially useless. I'm not sure if THAT waste is more or less than the tube kind waste. You obviously have more TP per roll and that may be a factor here. Perhaps, too, it is cheaper?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Here at work they changed out all our TP to the "no tube" kind.
    The 'no tube' kind has been around for a long time. It dispenses in sheets. We got them to switch to the roll kind many years ago where I used to work. The sheet kind was almost like wax paper. It was a lot of work to get much out a sheet at a time.

Mankind wastes a lot of time trying to come up with a better way to do something that works fine as it is.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post

The name sounds like a sheet goods brand. Sludge gets used around here on some farms, including sludge that comes via a septic truck.

One other side comment, having two small kids, we see a lot of cores (paper towels and toilet paper, etc) turned into santa claus crafts or whatever.

But the rule of thumb for whether or not your young toddler can have something small is if it can fit through a toilet paper roll. If it can, they can eat it, and thus you don't give it to them.

If this toilet paper roll thing takes, I guess we'll have some $6.99 plastic version of the toilet paper roll core at target that people will throw away (along with the plastic packaging it comes in) once their kid is no longer small.

Companies are notorious for giving their employees cheap toilet paper: Where I work they briefly installed super thin single-ply, so thin you could score 20/20 on an eye chart through it, and so frail you couldn't tear off more than one sheet at a time because the perforations were weaker than its rolling resistance. Pathetic, and they soon bowed to the howls of outrage from the staff and gave us normal cheap t.p.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    normal cheap t.p.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    hahahahaha!!! I love it! "Normal" cheap as opposed to "cheap" cheap?! hahahaha....

When they changed to the tubeless here, they also, of course, had to change the holders. We have some new dual holders from Georgia Pacific where you have to finish one roll before you can slide the door over to access the second roll. The TP itself is fine...the normal cheap kind but no tubes. I also noticed that they now install all the TP "over the top" because it is harder to use in these GP contraptions if the TP is put in to roll out from the bottom. I like that feature as I'm a hardcore "over the top" TP installer. I'll even change the direction if I see it at your house. LOL!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I like that feature as I'm a hardcore "over the top" TP installer. I'll even change the direction if I see it at your house. LOL!
    Glad you had the courage to address this. Over the top is the one correct way to load the TP.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-27-2014 at 7:50 PM.