Thread: Grizzly Motor Starter

Grizzly Motor Starter

I was thinking about this starter for my powermatic sander, I will be getting a 3/4 or 1hp motor, to replace the 3 phase motor that is in there now.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magn...nly-1-HP/G8290
    This starter is about $60.00 with shipping from Grizzly.

Any personal experience with these starters, or will I be better off trying to replace the coil and heater that is on the sander right now, and trying to hook the OEM starter up.
    I will be going from 3 phase ,3/4HP motor, to single phase 110V 1HP motor,
    Don't know what the coil and heater would cost to convert the OEM one I have now.
    I am guessing it is a better starter. (the OEM one)

How much money will you end up spending with the motor and starter and all that? Just curious because you may be better to get a vfd and keep the 3 phase motor, presuming it works of course.

$200 will get you a vfd that will handle up to a 3 hp motor.

I agree with Matt. If the 3-phase motor is in good shape, I'd get a VFD. If you ever scrap the sander, keep the VFD for use on some other tool in the future.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I don't know, l was hoping to "dig up" a used motor somewhere, but they seem harder to find these days.
    Yeah, I think the one like l used (VFD) on my oliver lathe is about $140.00. I would have to test the PM 3 Ph. motor, using my Oliver VFD.
    Wish I could find a VFD, even a used one, cheap, but I would also like it to be 110 Volt input.
    Also, I am trying to put this together with the least amount of money as possible.
    If l can't find a used motor, does anyone know if the "Smith and Jones" motors from Harbor Freight are any good. I think with the -25% off coupon and shipping, I can get a 1 HP for about $120.00.
    I can't get over how high motors have gotten.
    I think actually I might be best off just getting a single phase motor for the sander, and if I get another VFD for the PM motor, I will use it on my Logan lathe.
    Variable speed and reversing will be of better use on the logan lathe. The VFD set-up on my Oliver is Awesome.

Thanks guys,
    Tony