Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is it worth buying a Chinese laser used? *Pics*

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Yes, but you said in your initially posted the following :

I hope you aren't planning on copying the design the guy at AquaBox developed.
    They won't be direct copies, that for sure. I got my own ideas.

Besides, we are in different markets. I am providing these sumps to Canada only. He provides to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Souliere View Post
    They won't be direct copies, that for sure. I got my own ideas.

Besides, we are in different markets. I am providing these sumps to Canada only. He provides to the US.
    I hope not. He's not a big company you'd be stealing his design from, he's a guy with an idea that's trying to do right and make it. I'd hate to think if it were your idea that you'd be happy about someone else copying it either, whether or not if they lived in your country.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I hope not. He's not a big company you'd be stealing his design from, he's a guy with an idea that's trying to do right and make it. I'd hate to think if it were your idea that you'd be happy about someone else copying it either, whether or not if they lived in your country.
    LOL

For the record, his designs are not unique.

I can show you many examples that look the same as his desings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Souliere View Post
    . . . If I am going to go the CNC route, I would like to build one myself (cncrouterparts.com). I can get something bigger (4' x 8') for under $10K and its brand new. I already have experience cutting and assembling t-slot aluminum because that is what we make our custom aquariums stands from.
    Building the mechanical structures is less than half the problem. Wiring and configuring the controls and calibrating the mechanics is the hard part. My advice is to stick with a company like cncrouterparts.com and make use of their fully integrated electronics packages. That way, you can also use their recommended calibration and machine setups. Trying to do that on your own will make learning to use Vcarve Pro seem trivial.

However, from a time standpoint, it's much more efficient to put one sheet of material on the router and have it cut all the pieces out than having to cut a larger sheet into pieces that will fit into the laser,...
    I see. My customer supplies all the pieces already cut to size to fit in the laser.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I see. My customer supplies all the pieces already cut to size to fit in the laser.
    That helps a lot. Do they use mainly cast or extruded acrylic? I keep saying I'm going to make my own tank, but seems like we use a lot more extruded than cast, and cast seems to be what people say to use, from what I have briefly read.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Cast for sure, not only that but a particular grade of cast that glues better. He had a partner that used another type of cast, led to a bunch of problems, he had to rebuild some tanks. The partner is gone now...
    Gerber Sabre 408

Cast for sure, not only that but a particular grade of cast that glues better. He had a partner that used another type of cast, led to a bunch of problems, he had to rebuild some tanks. The partner is gone now...
    Figures, we did a lot of cast in the past and after having some specific issues with a customers products, we changed over to extruded, so I can't sneak a side panel here and there out of it

Not to mention I looked at the calculations for it and 1/2" thick acrylic won't get you a very big tank.

Not to mention I looked at the calculations for it and 1/2" thick acrylic won't get you a very big tank.
    I can tell you that they make 4ft sumps out of 3/8 all the time. There is a top piece that adds a bunch of strength. I don't think it would be good without the top piece. They don't make any of the actual tanks out of acrylic, glass only. Acrylic scratches too easily.
    Gerber Sabre 408

That's interesting. When I was searching around about it, it appeared that acrylic tanks were commonly done. In fact, there are a couple of tv shows that show people making tanks and all they use is acrylic.

One of the sites had a link to a calculation tool and it showed all the pressures and how think you could use based on the sizes you input. 1/2" thick was pretty small, something like 24" x 18" x 18" or something like that.

It did have a selection for whether or not it had the top. I didn't know what that was, since I didn't know how you'd get the fish in if you glued a top on

...since I didn't know how you'd get the fish in if you glued a top on
    The AquaBox pictured on the first page has a top.
    Gerber Sabre 408

In fact, there are a couple of tv shows that show people making tanks and all they use is acrylic.
    I have heard of those shows but not watched them. I expect that once you get to the really really big tanks acrylic becomes more favorable again. My customer makes tanks at least up to ten feet using glass.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Figures, we did a lot of cast in the past and after having some specific issues with a customers products, we changed over to extruded...
    I assume it was not used in any structural application...

I don't use extruded for anything unless it is just for decoration or experimentation - only because I still have some on hand. But if I were to cut something like what goes in a picture frame, I would probably use extruded.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    I have heard of those shows but not watched them. I expect that once you get to the really really big tanks acrylic becomes more favorable again. My customer makes tanks at least up to ten feet using glass.
    The hallways people walk through at the big (state-run) Aquariums... acrylic. I can't imagine how much those puppies weigh, particularly if they were made of glass.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5