Thread: These Stairs look a little uncomfortable

These Stairs look a little uncomfortable

These look like they would get a little getting use too.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/5699868...tm_medium=2004

"Ship's stairs". If made correctly, they're not that bad, although not as easy going as regular stairs.

Blog Entries
    We have roof access steps like that at work (out of metal). They are quirky to get used to and mis-steps are frequent even for those who use them a lot.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Right foot first! Just don't slip--ouch--all those corners... They're also must have a code exception.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I've only seen them before in the old books. The strange thing about the one in the link is they don't seem to be any steeper than conventional steps and they are usually used only on extremely steep pitches. I think it would take some pretty good liquor to get an occupancy permit for that place.

Can't see the article from the link, but you can make out the gist of the approach. I was subscribed to the magazine when the article was published. These are my favorite stairs:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...staircase.aspx

You can kind of make out that basically the steel loops that extend out from the wall (2x8 studs) are bridged by each tread, so that each tread is bolted to the top of one loop and the bottom of the next loop up. As I recall, the handrail and baluster are also structurally integrated, and all the woodwork is done to seamlessly hide the steel.
    Jason

Jason,if you google "Shirley Plantation staircase" there are photos of an old virginia stair with similar idea. Rests on iron bars that go into the thick brick wall.

A Slinky wouldn't stand a chance on those stairs.

These people do not have a dog.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

11. I once went up a ladder like that. Not really sure what the point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Right foot first! Just don't slip--ouch--all those corners... They're also must have a code exception.
    Wonder what the local building inspector said about that one. How did it pass? Maybe in a land with out pesky little codes.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    You must know the building code in Portugal?

They might have installed a cheap ordinary temporary stair just to get inspection. Once we made a custom 18 th century type handrail that was larger than what newer codes allow. Owners installed temporary handrail made of unpainted ,rounded off 2x4 just to get inspection ,then changed it out. Since it looks like there was probably room for standard stair,
    I think the thing was just a whimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    You must know the building code in Portugal?
    That I don't, but I didn't look beyond the picture of the stairs to see where it might have been located. I ASSUMED the U.S. Believe me, I'm no fan of building codes in their current iterations and application...
    Jason