Thread: Proto-type car for Toys for Tots

Proto-type car for Toys for Tots

For the past couple of years, I've been donating wooden toys I make to Toys for Tots - mainly cars and trucks - flat work.

Back in June, I spotted a new book by Richard Raffin on the subject of childrens toys turned on a lathe at the local
    Barnes and Noble (They have it online, as does Amazon). I bought the book, and today (since it's raining), I finally got a
    chance to try out one of Raffin's designs....

I glued up a block of 2x lumber, then cut it to 2 x 2.25". I followed his instructions, but one thing is missing is "which end is up?" - the
    2" face or the 2.25" face, and may be he wanted it that way. In the pics I've attached, I made the 2" side the top.

My glue job could have been better - should have used C-clamps instead of Quick Grips, and my cock-pit (for a "peggy people" driver - Raffins term for turned wooden toy people), should be deeper. I drilled it to 1.25", but 1.5 or 1.75" would be better on the profile I've got.

Raffin's book shows cars w/ contours - while mine is a long taper. The car was offset turned between centers. Sanding was done to med-fine - some w/ my DeWalt pad sander, and some by hand w/ the lathe off.

Light cuts are needed - I thought I was doing that, but I've got some pretty larrge wood chips laying on the flood....

No finish at this time.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Jim

GEDC1765a.jpgGEDC1766a.jpgGEDC1767a.jpg

Hi Jim.

As a guild when we have a demo day in the park we turn cars and trucks to give to the kids. Sorry I don't have any pictures of them but we cut a piece of 2 by 4 to length, shorter for cars than trucks. Mark center on all four sides and drill your holes for the axels
    1/4" off center then put between centers on the lathe and turn the profile of the car or truck and sand and finish. Now to the bandsaw cut the block down the center line and you have two identical cars.IMG_0883 (800x533).jpg