Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use Cricket Wireless?

Anyone here use Cricket Wireless?

I hope this does not violate any rules. If it does, my regrets and please just pull the post.

It's time for a new phone, and I'm thinking perhaps also a new carrier. From what I find on the web, they have pretty good service and coverage. I use a smartphone now, but I don't use a great deal of data or advanced features - e-mail (personal and work when I'm away from a computer), occasional web-browsing, navigation.

If you prefer, feel free to PM me.

Thanks, everyone! Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

My son does, he's been happy with it. I use Boost Mobile, $40 a month unlimited talk, text, data, works well enough for me. The one place where the pay as you go (i.e. no contract) carriers fall down is their coverage in the boonies isn't as good, and you don't get the latest and greatest phones. If neither of those is going to be a factor for you, then go for it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I use Consumer Cellular, which has reasonable costs
    and no contract. I don't know much about their data rates.

They use the previous generation carrier, so they may not
    be as fast as the current offerings.

If you're just sending text and (horrors) making voice calls, it's adequate.

I'm just gonna say Check out republic wireless, no contacts , really cheap plans, great phones. may not work for everyone but is great for me.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

My SIL uses pageplus for hers. She only needs a phone for emergencies so she gets a $10 phone card that lasts her 120 days.

Most of the cheap plans (I use Straight Talk) are really just resold AT&T; no better, no worse.

I think that Pageplus uses the Verizon network as they will put an old Verizon phone in service for you

I have a Tracfone that cost me $150/ year for talk and text (limited). When camping I will be the only one in the group with cell service.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have Boost Mobile and just recently took a trip from Houston Texas to Baltimore Md and had coverage 95% of the time. You can't beat it for only $40 a month unlimited!

I can beat it $25 a month unlimited no contract talk text and data
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Most of the cheap plans (I use Straight Talk) are really just resold AT&T; no better, no worse.
    Right. I'm pretty sure all the 'second tier' cellular providers simply resell 'first tier' bandwidth. I use a prepaid service and it does use AT&T's GoPhone network. Coverage east of the Mississippi is pretty good, west of the Mississippi can get a little spotty away from populated areas.

If you leave major cities and highways often you may have issues with prepaid coverage. Many of them will only use the host company's wireless network and won't roam. If you buy directly from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile they will often roam to another carrier's network in areas they don't have service at no extra charge. For many the lack of coverage isn't an issue, but for some it is. My employer sticks with Verizon, even though most expensive, because Verizon offers the best coverage overall when employees are often outside of major metro areas. We've tested all of the major carriers.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 08-31-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If you leave major cities and highways often you may have issues with prepaid coverage. Many of them will only use the host company's wireless network and won't roam. If you buy directly from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile they will often roam to another carrier's network in areas they don't have service at no extra charge. For many the lack of coverage isn't an issue, but for some it is. My employer sticks with Verizon, even though most expensive, because Verizon offers the best coverage overall when employees are often outside of major metro areas. We've tested all of the major carriers.
    This. In major metro areas, prepaid works fine. Outside, not so much. How much this will affect someone depends a lot on where they live and frequent. It will be less of a problem east of the Mississippi than it is in eastern Wyoming.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I'm also a Republic user and use the $25/month service. It works well for me and except when I'm driving, most of the time there's a wifi network available so I'm not using the 3G service. 4G is available for a slightly higher fee but I don't have the need for it. At work in the shop, my old phone with Verizon would ring but the signal isn't good enough to actually use the phone. With the Republic service I have excellent service because I'm able to use the company's wifi. If you don't need 3G or 4G data at all, you could go with the $10/month plan. You'd still get data over wifi when it is available and unlimited talk and text over both wifi and cellular. I think it is at least worth a look.

Thanks to everyone for your insights. A lot of the "alternative" carriers aren't available in my area, and after reading these posts and doing some homework, I think I'm gonna suck it up, stick with the big guy, and pay a few extra $$ for the coverage.

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon