Thread: Disc Sander build

Disc Sander build

I pretty much built this over the weekend....well a long weekend. Found the 1/2hp 3 phase motor on the bay, new in box. The 9" disc came from Beaumont Metal works. The disc is a very nicely made piece and runs incredibly balanced. Controlled via a VFD which gives me the ability to run forward, reverse and have digital speed control. I couldn't find everything I needed in a commercially available unit. I use a disc sander for grinding the radius ends on my metal plane bodies among other things, so the special jigging I built into this machine accommodates those needs. These pictures were taken before I added the vfd and required mounting brakets.

Dust collection chamber is integrated into the base. The chambers begins just in front of the disc and is just a little wider than the disc at that point and then tapers to the size of the vac fitting toward the rear of the machine. Collects very efficiently.

Ron

Very cool Ron. That's a great idea.

I've been thinking of tearing apart my HF disc/belt sander and making new tables & fences for it. I don't suppose that you, or anyone that reads this, has ever modified a HF sanding center before and could supply advise and/or photos?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I really enjoy seeing nicely done home made tools. They give me good ideas for my own shop. Thanks for sharing this one.

Nicely made, Ron.

Must be nice to have talent.

Rick P

Nicely done!

Ron,

Man I hate you talented guys I'm "okay" with building things, but when it comes to the motor part...that's where I don't know exactly what to get and how to hook it up. You do, so kudos to you Ron, and yes I'm jealous Great job!

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Very cool Ron. That's a great idea.

I've been thinking of tearing apart my HF disc/belt sander and making new tables & fences for it. I don't suppose that you, or anyone that reads this, has ever modified a HF sanding center before and could supply advise and/or photos?
    I did modify mine, but I wanted a clamp on/ clamp off buffer station instead:
    BeltBuffer.JPG

So now I have a 3- in-1 tool, all in the same footprint.
    Last edited by HANK METZ; 09-05-2014 at 8:40 PM.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Damn good looking sander.

Thanks John. I've been enjoying using it. The Beaumont metal works disc spins incredibly balanced. It hardly makes a noise while it's running.

Ron

Ron, nice build! looks like the most functional disc sander I have seen! Those guys at Beaumont do some fantastic work, I have one of their belt grinders.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Nice build Ron !

Have you decided on PSA or hook and loop paper ?

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

PSA. I found some 8" diameter disc that are paper backed and release easily. I change grits a great deal in my work so the easy release paper backed disc work well for me.

Ron

Okay,

The reason I ask is I just installed the last disc from a batch I purchased a good twenty years ago.

80% of the adhesive stayed on the disc, sigh...

It took a bath of lacquer thinner to get it clean.

Anywho, I'm thinking to try the hook and loop system but I'm concerned the "extra" material might not give me a completely flat surface on the work ?

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Having to use lacquer thinner is never fun. Requires the opening of the all the doors and windows, for a while anyway. I avoid it whenever possible but sometimes I have to resort to that to get the psa remnants off my surface plate.

I have the same concerns about the hook and loop. When I'm grinding the radius on the ends of a plane body I require a truly flat surface with no give.

Ron

Very nice looking unit. Those who have talent, use it. The rest of us ...... gawk at projects from those with talent.