Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Bad Beer Thread

A Bad Beer Thread

It's easy to think of beers that I like, but, thinking about beers that I don't like, there are many..

Beers that I don't want to drink:

There's Panda beer, the sweet (yeech!) beer from China.
    There are all sorts of Belgian beers that have fruit flavors in them.t
    There is the horrible Shiner beer that has the "hint of red grapefruit" in it.

Beers that I wouldn't refuse to drink, but don't buy:

The wheat based beers.
    The beer that comes in a bottle that looks like a Red Strip Ale bottle, but it isn't Red Stripe Ale. It's ofen on sale cheap.
    Pasteurized-for-export versions of Guinness.

My small town has five microbreweries. I essentially only drink beers from them. Currently my favorite is IPA, but I also love stouts, and scotch ales and bitters. Can't abide any of the national beer brands with artificial carbonation.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Of all the beers I've drunk over the years (and it's been many), I've had exactly one that I couldn't finish because it was just awful. It was a blueberry beer.

For a long time, I was a beer snob--I wouldn't touch any of the big-batch U.S. beers, especially the Light/Lite versions. But, I have a couple friends who only drink those things for the most part, so if I'm hanging out with them and there's nothing darker available, I'll drink their canned water.

FYI, David, even microbrews are usually "artificially carbonated", unless they're cask-conditioned, which means they're aged in a sealed barrel with no airlock. Most beer that's produced is fermented in tanks that allow the carbon dioxide to vent, then when it's kegged, the headspace is pressurized with carbon dioxide gas. It's not the carbonation that makes mass-produced U.S. beers low quality, it's all the adjuncts--rice, gelatin and the like to clarify it or boost the alcohol content without raising the calorie count.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Beers i tried and will not drink:

Pyramid Scotch Ale
    Hair of the Dog (incredibly strong)
    any big brand American Lager
    most IPA's (I just don't like the style)
    Russian Ales

what I do like:

Northern English Brown ales (preferably Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale)
    Irish Ales
    Trappist Ales
    Wit's
    German or Czech Pilsners
    Martzen's
    Guinness!!!!!!
    Boddingtons
    Fullers
    Bass
    Dark english porters
    Japanese Lagers (Kirin)
    many styles of the microbrew genre
    I could go on...

I've been homebrewing since 1984. I can do other styles, but usually make a Czech Lager, a Stout, a Wit, and a Northern english Brown Ale. All whole grain.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Shawn, you just need the right gateway IPA. I used to dislike IPAs as well, but then I had just the right one...now I'll drink just about any.

I will say that I don't care for the bourbon-barrel aged beers. I like bourbon, but the two together just doesn't do it for me.

I'm real close to making the jump to all-grain brewing, and I'll probably just do the brew-in-a-bag method, at least to start. Been doing kits for 10+ years, but have started to do more since I installed a dual-tap kegerator almost 2 years ago and ditched bottling. I hated bottling (specifically, washing and sanitizing the bottles), so I didn't brew much.
    Jason

I really like wheat beers/hefeweizens. I got over the whole stereotype that only girls drink lighter and wheat beers. I like it, therefore I drink it.

I really don't like hoppy beers and Beers served in Chinese food places. And blueberry beers - terrible idea!

I get to try a bunch of local beers on the east coast when I go out for work. I had a Mango beer somewhere in Pittsburg that was pretty gross
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

If any beer has the word light (in any spelling) or any fruit in it, I'm out.

I pretty much drink yuengling lager, guinness and sam adams if neither of the first two are available.

In my humble opinion, IPA is a pox on the beer market. There are some liquor stores these days that have practically nothing but Bud, Miller and various IPAs. Meh.

I prefer a good, dark, meaty beer.

Yep those blueberry beer are just plain awful. Generally I don't care much for any flavored beers, haven't drunk a coriander flavored beer in a while either like Blue Moon.

Had a smoked beer (I think the hops or wort was smoke dried) that while being a interesting and complex beer was not IMO a drinking beer, I shared the 16oz bottle and didn't go back for more.

Edit: And coffee beers. What's up with that? Is it for drinking in the morning? A hair of the dog thing?
    Last edited by Judson Green; 08-28-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

What makes a good beer is merely subjective.

For years, I drank what ever my wife brought home and I am sure it was what ever was cheapest.

5 years ago, we were gifted with a 10 day trip to New Zealand. A friend and coworker in Christchurch introduced me to Speight's Gold Medal Ale. I am convinced it's a scotch ale. It's not exported to the USA. Then I became a beer snob of sorts even to the point of driving 150 miles to a small microbrewery to fill a case of 6 half gallon growlers with scotch ale and peach hefeweizen. The peach hefeweizen is a favorite of a neighbor's wife.

Now days I drink what ever the wife brings home but make occasional trips to a local microbrewery or my favorite nearby beer bar for a local scotch ale.... River Rat Red brewed by Riverport Brewing, Clarkston, WA.....just across the Snake River.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dos Equis is now my favorite beer. I spent two years in Germany back in the early 60's and learned to love some of their beers. The thing I liked the most about it was the higher alcohol content and the very low carbonation.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I'm real close to making the jump to all-grain brewing, and I'll probably just do the brew-in-a-bag method, at least to start. Been doing kits for 10+ years, but have started to do more since I installed a dual-tap kegerator almost 2 years ago and ditched bottling. I hated bottling (specifically, washing and sanitizing the bottles), so I didn't brew much.
    Jason,

Stop with the kits and bags!!! Even if you stay with Malt extract, you can make far better beer on your own with a simple grain bill added to the extract in the wort. I hope you are keeping a good log of what you make. PM me and I'll send off some recipes if you like.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Pilsner derivatives once dominated American breweries.

I'm in Sam Adams country, where "craft" beers get a Disneyfied sheen.
    Real craft beers; lagers, ales and stouts may be a little ragged compared to your familiar brews.

I grew up on Schoenling, Hudepohl and Yuengling - it was well into the 1980's before I realized that Pabst wasn't the pinnacle of beer.

Even Molson's seemed exotic to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Yep those blueberry beer are just plain awful. Generally I don't care much for any flavored beers, haven't drunk a coriander flavored beer in a while either like Blue Moon.

Had a smoked beer (I think the hops or wort was smoke dried) that while being a interesting and complex beer was not IMO a drinking beer, I shared the 16oz bottle and didn't go back for more.

Edit: And coffee beers. What's up with that? Is it for drinking in the morning? A hair of the dog thing?
    Coffee goes very well with dark beers--some dark beers even have hints of a coffee flavor without any added, which is how I suspect the practice started. In fact, just yesterday I added some freshly ground coffee to a dark porter I was brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Jason,

Stop with the kits and bags!!! Even if you stay with Malt extract, you can make far better beer on your own with a simple grain bill added to the extract in the wort. I hope you are keeping a good log of what you make. PM me and I'll send off some recipes if you like.
    Shawn, I think you're a bit confused on the terms. The kits I've been using come with unhopped Liquid Malt Extract and typically a pound or two of crushed grains, then a few ounces of hops. Heat water, steep the grains, dissolve the LME, boil, add hops, boil, add more hops, cool, pitch the yeast, etc. I'm wanting to switch to all grain, using the brew-in-a-bag method, which skips the sparging/mash tun setup, and uses a nylon mesh bag for the grains. I have a friend who swears by the method. Google it. The BIAB method will keep me alive, since I just ordered a new, heavy-duty, 10-gallon brew pot last night (~$175). I don't think I could get the rest of a sparging setup past my wife at this point and live to tell about it.
    Jason