Thread: Trying something different.

Trying something different.

P1060289.JPGjohns-1.jpgjohns bis-1.jpgjohns-7.jpgjohns-5.jpgjohns-3.jpg

Having filled the house with bowls, plates and my share of pepper mills, I decided to try something different. I was helped along this path by spending two days in May with Nick Agar at his workshop/studio in beautiful Devon, England. Nick is a very well regarded woodturner-artist and I found him to be an inspiring teacher.

All of the pieces are flat work designed to hang on a wall. They are made from one or more boards screwed or glued together and turned off centre to form patterns of circular grooves. The result can be enhanced with carving, stamping and air brushing, (also pyrography which I don't do).

SWMBO has a prior claim on all the available indoor walls for her hobby: photography. Therefore all these pieces are hanging outdoors.

The first photo shows the piece I did in Devon under Nicks supervision. The components are not assembled and just lying on a table before being packed for travel.
    The second is my third attempt at the same style after returning home and junking the previous two.
    The third, fourth and fifth were inspired by Andy Coates who is another accomplished UK turner-artist, whose website I recently discovered.

I use eastern maple shorts because they are readily available, inexpensive and nice and white. The stain is Chestnut spirit stain covered with a light touch of Deft spay-on lacquer. I painted the edges of the boards with house paint to help protect them from the Vancouver Island rains, but it remains to be seen if that will be effective. I'd be happy if the pieces just gently fade over several seasons, but I expect that they will crack.

I don't remember seeing any postings from Creekers about making stuff for outdoor display. I know that brightly coloured turnings are not for everyone, but I would like to know your reactions and to have your suggestions.

John

good stuff, interesting thought displaying outside.....would like to know how you find it next spring.....the learning curve has many twist and turns.......Nick, did he try to talk hillbilly?

I've played with similar ideas but didn't pursue it. These I like very much and doing them for outdoors is appealing. Thanks for sharing.