Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Disappointment with SWAT

My Disappointment with SWAT

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but this years SWAT was a terrible disappointment for me. With a few exceptions the demonstrators, at least the ones I saw, were simply mediocre at best. One of the better demonstration I saw was on the vendor floor. Stuart Batty was very good in his bowl turning, tool sharping, and why he did things one way and not another. Al Hockenbury was was very good, as was Scott Hackler. Next, the food was absolutely awful. The imitation smoke flavor of the meat was almost more then I could take. Although I now live in South Dakota, I was born and raised in Bellmead, a Waco suburb and it's disheartening for me to think the barbecue beef served was the best Waco could supply. The brisket served at the banquet was some the worst I've ever experienced; the coleslaw was, for me, inedible and the scalloped potatoes, if that's what they were, was an experience. To all the visitors to Waco, we can and should have done better. Perhaps your experiences were better, but this will most likely be the last SWAT I will attend. Even thought it is more expensive, I'll be attending the Utah Symposium in the future. Don't shoot me, I just had to vent a little.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

I am sorry that you did not enjoy SWAT; I had a good time there. I don't go to SWAT for the food. The demonstrations I saw were well done and the instant gallery was inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    I had some of the same feelings, although I can learn something new/helpful from about any demonstration. I think part of the disappointment was that most of the national demonstrators were not people whose names I recognized which could be just my problem. The regional demonstrators were about the same as other Swat Symposiums I have attended. So, while I thought the demonstrations overall were not quite of the quality as other years, I still learned some and enjoyed the ones I attended.
    As to the food, I thought it might just be me, but I didn't think it was up to par with what they had last year even though it was the same caterer. I live closer that you do and I'm not disappointed enough that I won't be back again next year.
    Maybe they should have brought in some Rudy's brisket from Auston?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I was disappointed before I even went. The night before I planned on going, I looked at the website to get directions. I was going to drive down from Dallas just for the day which is about 2 hours. As a new woodturner and heavy into the tool vortex, I was eager to go see all the great products available. I was really interested in the Trent Bosch "Stabilizer" and "visualizer".
    But then I saw the One-day admission fee... $100???? Having never been to a woodturning symposium, I had no idea how expensive they are? The cost of admission, gas, and four hours of driving time was too much for me. The money I saved payed for a much needed 1 1/4" skew. Vendors take note, admission fees are hurting your sales.

This just goes to show that you cannot please everybody. I thought that the food was fine, I personally do not like barbeque but what was served was OK. There were many fine demos and I really enjoy Jim Duxbury's demo on kaleidoscopes. Avelino Samuel always does a good job. Scott Hackler did fine although he got rushed at the end (he will get more polished as he demos more). I do believe that anyone can walk in the door and visit the trade floor or the instant gallery at no charge (the charges are for the demos and food). I have seen and talked to lots of folks who have done just that. I must once again give Kudos to the Texas clubs that support and put on this symposium as it is probably the best run symposium that I go to every year (and I drive 1,400 miles one way to get there). Looking forward to next year.
    Bill

My $.02 on SWAT. This was the first convention of this sort that I have ever attended.

Many of the above comments were about the food. I must say, that I stood in line for the lunches. I found several of the items, including the entrees, to be unidentifiable and ended up never eating any of it. It just really looked bad and I ended up going out for lunch every day.

The demonstrators were lackluster for the most part. The thing that I did not understand was the need to start at the very beginning of the process and work towards what the demonstration was actually about. For example, I went to a demonstration about carving on a bowl. The demonstration was 90 minutes long and the first 40 minutes was spent on turning the bowl to be carved on. Seriously? That was basically the theme for most all of the demonstrations that I went to. Watch someone turn a bowl or vase for 30-45 minutes, then start to burn, carve, etc. on the bowl (which is what the demonstration was about) and then run out of time before they could get much done. Why would you not have the bowl or vase or several of them sitting there for the demonstration and actually demonstrate the technique that I was paying to learn for the entire 90 minutes? I did enjoy the demonstration on tippee tops and the demonstrator was well prepared and entertaining.

I ended up cancelling my motel for Saturday night and left Saturday afternoon. In retrospect, I will probably drive up next year for one day (I am about 100 miles away) and tour the vendors (free) and spend another $600 bucks on tools and wood like I did this year. Only next year I will have an extra $260 to spend since I won't have any entry fees or motel expenses. Just my honest opinion on things.

I am going to put in my $.02. First everybody with SWAT is a volunteer. There is about 20 people a year that have taken precious time out of their daily lives to help support the hobby they love for the education and enjoyment of others with this event. This is not a profit situation. This is for your enjoyment nothing else. Far as demonstrators at SWAT National leads are determined by who is available and willing to attend as well as there is a SWAT policy that no demonstrator can attend more than 2 symposiums in a 5 year period. and no two years concurrently. Typically leads are being contacted a minimum of 1 year in advance and most two years in advance and there are 6 leads every year. This forces new blood to be introduced and many times new techniques. There will be years that the most recognizable names are not available or able to attend. But I find the newer leads to be very enjoyable to watch. Regional demonstrators are picked from a pool of applications These applications are solicited (Begged for) by club directors and calls for entry are sent out by the AAW. I can tell you from experience that getting people to apply is not easy and your pool of topics is set from the applications that you receive. I encourage anyone that thinks they can improve on the demonstrators please apply. We as club directors beg people to apply and encourage anyone to do so. Applications and proposals will be accepted after the January SWAT meeting for regional demonstrators.

To attend the trade show and the instant gallery is free of charge. Ask any of the vendors this is one of their favorite symposiums to attend. Fees are reasonable and generally they have good sales.

Food is food. I ate all of it some was pretty good and some was just OK. Compared to the national symposium the food is a steal. In San Jose I paid $15 for a cold stale sandwich and a coke. The prime rib at the banquette dinner was very good and every bit as good as any banquette dinner I have had at the national symposium. There are not many symposiums that serve lunch for 3 days that are included in the fee of less than $150.

Basically my point is if you live within the SWAT area and you are not happy with the symposium I encourage you to get involved with your club as a director to SWAT. Drive to Waco to attend all the meetings (They generally give you a little money for gas) and then help where you can during the event absolutely free of charge just so all of your turning brothers can enjoy themselves. And do this all for the fame that it brings you.

Its a lot of volunteer work by a lot of dedicated people that barely ever get thanked for their efforts. Constructive criticism is fine and even better when you are willing to help solve the problems. Some years will have things some people like and some things people dislike. I have fun at all of them, Please be thankful there are these volunteers that are wiling to take the time to put this event on and thank them for their efforts.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 08-29-2014 at 7:55 PM. Reason: Typo's may still have more

Allow me to add a few clarifying statements to my post. The vendor floor was excellent, as was the instant gallery. The Beads of Courage pieces were very inventive and I'm sure any child that receives one will be very happy with it. I wasn't trying to take anything away from the volunteers which put on this show and those who man the galleries. They are all outstanding. I felt the list of demonstrators was a bit on the light side, but Mr Trout's statements about SWAT policy on demonstrator attendance could account for that. I was not aware of that policy.

I feel the show I attended two years was much better. I know there is years of work to put on these symposiums and if I could get involved I'd very glad to help. There many things we cannot change and grousing about them after the fact does little if you don't attend the critique session at the show. I just had to express my displeasure about certain aspects of the event.
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Maybe they should have brought in some Rudy's brisket from Auston?
    Actually brisket from any place would have been that what Michna's put out, but they were the chosen caterers.
    Wes

Alan,
    Well stated, my last banquet I attended at the AAW Symposium cost $70 and I got about 3 ounces of steak and because I do not like salmon I asked that it be left off my plate. That $70 is almost half of what SWAT total fees are. Needless to say we skip the banquets at the AAW. I will say again that SWAT is the best run symposium for visitors and vendors alike.
    Bill

I certainly agree when comparing AAW Symposiums vs SWAT when it comes to registration price and food, there is NO COMPARISON. SWAT is tons cheaper and you get fed to boot. I didn't think the food was up to the caterer's usual standard but I found it more than edible and I was full after each meal. The first lunch, they ran out of food and had to go after more. In Phoenix, the food wasn't that good (only had a Saturday night banquet to choose from, no lunches offered) and afterwards ....I would had rather "went out".

The "lead demonstrators" list was a little lacking this year, only from an online visibility standard. Alan Carter and Al Hockenberry are both very well known online and are good demonstrators, but the other "leads" were a little less known (at least to me). Not to say they weren't accomplished, just not are well known among turners. Stuart was turning in a vendor booth and always draws a crowd. He is an excellent turner and fun to watch, even though he is ultimately there to promote and sell his tools!

At SWAT, as an attendee, my experience was pretty good. I will admit that I didn't go to any demonstrations except for 1/2 of Jim Adkins' first one, though. There are some suggestions that I will be making, but nothing so substantial that it would ever stop me from wanting to return next year. I had a good time demonstrating for the first time at a symposium and will continue to polish up and concentrate on "time management" for a better demo. I will also apply again to be a demonstrator, both for SWAT and will be looking for demonstrating opportunities at other symposiums and clubs in the future.

Overall this SWAT gets a "B+" from me, which is a pretty good grade! (Phoenix was a B- in my opinion. based on expense and how inconvenient the facilities the choose are and no food included)
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I can't comment one way or the other concerning SWAT or the food. I was hoping to go this year but it didn't work out. I do however have a question for someone (like moderators). Why has this thread remained here instead of the announcements section. Someone... has seen fit to move threads like "Virginia Symposium", "Jim Adkins Birthday", "Turn on Chicago", etc, etc, to the announcements section. If this is a "discussion related to events", what's it doing still here????

^............
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

well, don't know about swat, but the hokies thank texas for letting us have a quarterback out of texas

Richard, I can speak only for myself, but my interpretation of the intent for the announcements sub-forum is that threads of a futuristic nature should be posted there, but historical discussion threads are more appropriate here in this forum.

We may not be as consistent as we should be on that, but we try.