Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Disappointment with SWAT

Having attended SWAT in 2012, and 2013, I think it is the best event for the money that there is. I had a fantastic time at both, and really miss not being able to attend this year. I thought the food served at the ones that I attended was great, and much better than the over priced sandwiches available at the AAW convention. I did notice that the demonstrator list for this year did not have the amt of big names as in the past, but having attended many, many demonstrations, the name of the demonstrator is not as important to me as what they are demonstrating, and their demonstration skills.

I enjoyed it, spent way more money with the vendors, than I did on fees, lunch is never great, at an another symposium I attended this year, there was no lunch on Friday, Saturday we were serve a "cold" cold cut sandwich, the gallery was one table and most of that was from the demonstrators, four rotations at a time, cost? the same as SWAT. The not so famous demonstrators, in two to three years, they will be the big name demonstrators.IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    The "lead demonstrators" list was a little lacking this year, only from an online visibility standard. Alan Carter and Al Hockenberry are both very well known online and are good demonstrators, but the other "leads" were a little less known (at least to me). Not to say they weren't accomplished, just not are well known among turners. Stuart was turning in a vendor booth and always draws a crowd. He is an excellent turner and fun to watch, even though he is ultimately there to promote and sell his tools!
    Having attended 10+ SWATs, I would agree. While I don't usually get to attend any of the demos, I actually heard this from some of the lead demonstrators. Something about no "A" list demonstrators. The ones that were there were top notch, but not someone who would have draw for someone waffling about going.

To me the food was good, seeing as it's included in the price, and because the price is low, I consider it free. At the national symposium (read AAW) I usually have my wife find a sandwich shop in the area (or Chipotle).

From a vendor perspective, it was OK, not bad, not great, but always fun to see my old friends and catch up on the year since I have seen them.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

It's a social event for me like every other symposium I've attended. I did check out a few demos this year, and I picked up a few things from each of them. I didn't think the food was as good this year, but I think it's only disappointing because it has been so good in years past. The vendor area was as big as I've ever seen, and I managed to leave town with far less money than I entered. I found humility and inspiration in the instant gallery as always. More than anything else, SWAT allowed me to see old friends, make a few new friends, and spend a few days away from work with a big group of folks who are just as crazy about woodturning. Count me in again in 2015!

I always enjoy attending SWAT. I have for years. I usually stay at the hotel where the Caterer operates out of. This year only weeks before SWAT I was notified the hotel had been sold and was closed! I had to find a new home and fast! I happened to speak to the caterer asking if he had a restaurant and if he was still operating from the closed hotel. He said " he had to build himself a kitchen to operate out of". I have no idea if he was caught off guard by the sale of the hotel or had time to plan. In January the organizers of SWAT sit down with the caterer and pick all the food choices. I have always enjoyed the food at SWAT. I also ate at Rudies BBQ for the first time this year and really enjoyed that meal. I really need to loose some weight... lol !
    VincesWoodNWonders

This year was my 5th SWAT and I enjoyed all of it. I attended 7 out of 9 demo slots and learned something in all. I do agree that some of these demonstrators could have done some of their preparation in advance in order to get to the main point sooner. Since I was not familiar with many of the demonstrator names I checked out their web sites before SWAT so I would have a better idea whether to attend their demo. As I other have stated, I don't attend SWAT for the food but lunch was disappointing.However that was more than made up for by the Instant Gallery, vendor area and getting to catch up with other turners that I only get to see once a year at SWAT!
    ~ Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it that often.

Facebook albums:

newer: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151105934183105.439169.711443104&type=1&l =665115c411
    older: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.137891188104.107199.711443104&type=1&l=6dfa 0d54be

I also saw 7 out of 9 demos, needing to leave early Sunday morning and missing the lunch and big raffle. I did learn something in each of the demos I attended, but do think that some of the demos could have made better use of time, and done a better end to the demo. A lot of what I look for are the techniques, steps, and helpful hints, and not watching all cuts done to perfection and ready to start sanding at 320 or so grit. The food did seem off, but still a lot better than trying to go out or eat a cold sandwich. The vendor area had a couple of people missing due to health issues, but there was still plenty of opportunity to use my plastic. The Instant Gallery had a lot of inspirational pieces. I told them that my pieces were brought so that those looking could say "I can do better than that", and I am waiting for the Critique Demo to hear what was said about one of my pieces (pine bowl with handles brought just to show form and not finish). The best part of SWAT is seeing old friends from previous SWATs, old turning club, and making new friends that enjoy the world of turning. I strongly recommend SWAT for turners at any level.